BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choice. She should lay well for you. I had one Australorp she loved to go broody. Never did have a rooster with them though.
Yes, hopefully she'll lay a fair amount. We used to have them but sadly they died/ got eaten by a fox. Now we've fixed the coop dad's letting me get a rooster so I figured I might as well get a hen while I'm at it. Breed them and get some more chicks I suppose. :oops:

Yes, hopefully she'll lay a fair amount. We used to have them but sadly they died/ got eaten by a fox. Now we've fixed the coop dad's letting me get a rooster so I figured I might as well get a hen while I'm at it. Breed them and get some more chicks I suppose. :oops:
That’s what chicken math is all about :lau
While we have a few fox here it’s the coyotes I have to worry about. That and raccoon. I’d really like to free range but that’s not possible

That’s what chicken math is all about :lau
While we have a few fox here it’s the coyotes I have to worry about. That and raccoon. I’d really like to free range but that’s not possible
Exactly. Not sure mum wants anymore chooks but dad said I could so I'm gonna listen to him this time :lau.
I'm from Australia so only really have to worry about foxes for predators for the adults. We have crows take the eggs and hawks will kill the young ones if they can get to them. Luckily the foxes only really come around at night so if I lock them up in their new run they're safe.

Exactly. Not sure mum wants anymore chooks but dad said I could so I'm gonna listen to him this time :lau.
I'm from Australia so only really have to worry about foxes for predators for the adults. We have crows take the eggs and hawks will kill the young ones if they can get to them. Luckily the foxes only really come around at night so if I lock them up in their new run they're safe.
I’ve seen some crows lately I didn’t know they took eggs. Fortunately I have my runs covered with deer netting that works for hawks as well. Ground squirrel will get into coops here and eat eggs.

I’ve seen some crows lately I didn’t know they took eggs. Fortunately I have my runs covered with deer netting that works for hawks as well. Ground squirrel will get into coops here and eat eggs.
Yeah, they do take the eggs. I looked out the window the other day and seen a crow take off with an egg in his beak.
Yes, I have a great run that they are kept in at night but the girls don't want to lay in the nest boxes in there where it's safe.

Yeah, they do take the eggs. I looked out the window the other day and seen a crow take off with an egg in his beak.
Yes, I have a great run that they are kept in at night but the girls don't want to lay in the nest boxes in there where it's safe.
Mine don’t like the boxes either. They prefer the granite rocks even if it’s raining.

I don't think the other 2 will hatch😥

The chick keeps peeping and peeping. It is warm and everything but I think it's lonely.
Should I get it more chick or should I wait till the Faverolles are due to hatch? (in around 2 days). It is breaking my heart hearing it peep all day long☹️
The mirror is a good suggestion. I haven't tried this but I will next time this occurs. :clap

I've put a toque, a mitt or a cloth, (something they can't get tangled in), in with the chick so they can burrow under. This behavior is what chicks try to do when they're with a hen. I've found that can help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom