BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
In my experience, eggs going cold for a short period of time doesn't necessarily mean death for the embryo. I'm sharing this to help ease everyone's mind in case something happens while incubating. :)

I've experienced several instances where eggs have gone cold, from 8 and 12 hours to 60 hours and I've had embryos survive and hatch successfully. The embryos may not be moving if you candle while they're cold, but once the eggs are brought back to incubating temperature, they begin moving. :thumbsup
This might help those worried about power outages

Attachments

• what if the power goes off.pdf
    706.4 KB · Views: 1
First of the three “failed“ broody chicks hatched today. Both parents are paint in color, little one looks like it’s going to be all black. The other two eggs are about a day behind developmentally, so this one will have to hang with a stuffed animal for now.😊
Also found this cute little mini feeder at the local feed store to replace the paper plates. The six day olds are incredibly messy. 🤣View attachment 2874177View attachment 2874178
They are very cute!

I know the brief temp drop wouldnt affect my hatch, but 60 hrs?! Wow thats crazy and good to know! I was disappointed that an incubator that a lot of people rave about (for price point) already had issues after only 3 days. What do you think about extreme and frequent fluctuations in temp +/- 2 degrees ? Seems like that could be worrisome?
If the power goes out within the first day or so, the eggs go back to the pre incubation state. They will pick back up on incubation when the incubator gets back to temp. They can go days or weeks like that!

I was surprised. I have a post on BYC about the eggs. I wanted to track the 60-hour chick/hen. She appeared normal and healthy but I was concerned about how the delay may affect her longevity. Unfortunately, I came across her body with a small type falcon beside her in the run.

That's incredibly unfortunate that the incubator gave trouble that soon. Are you concerned about the incubator experiencing fluctuations? I haven't experienced that type of fluctuation but the median temperature of the eggs shouldn't be affected to that extent, even with the wider variance. In comparison, the hens here setting on nests in the nest boxes get disturbed for 4-8 hours while they kick each other out trying to share the same nests. This never seemed to affect the hatches. (I mark the eggs that are being set on, otherwise, I have no idea what's going on.) :gig

Consistent low temps in an incubator can be lethal for embryos. I have experience with this. My incubator was set too low a couple of times and I lost the majority of the hatches. It was purchased eggs too. (I had picked them up and transported them myself)

It has been fluctuating yes. Kebonnix in the same room and steady. My husband thinks it could be due to the laptop cord as it has a slightly higher voltage so maybe it’s turning the fan faster, but if it’s adjusted up 0.5-1 degrees it gets too hot. The last few days it’s been at 98.5 at the lowest, won’t go above 99. Though if adjusted by 1 0.5 increment it gets close to 101. Can’t seem to find an even ground with this machine and by the time I get a replacement it will be too late. So at this point it is what it is. The batch of eggs in my nurture right was from in state so I was hoping my hatch rate would be better than the eggs from Florida (I’m in wa state). Afraid the fluctuations are gonna kill the 7 live embryos (of 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom