BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Thought I would share this egg separating idea I found online. Using small embroidery cards, I cut them down a bit to fit in the incubator so that I can hatch different breeds at the same time. I used small zip ties that I use to band older birds, to tie the cards together. My silkies and Polkies look almost identical at hatch. The last batch I was home and I was able to see each one hatch and then band them as I took them out of the incubator. This time around we may not be home for several hours, so I thought this would be a good idea. I’m hoping they do not melt in the heat, as others have used them, I assume they will not. I’ll have to keep an eye and see.😊
8925387A-0532-44F0-B2E3-6AE057C7E854.jpeg

AB9ECBFD-871F-41E5-B874-9254311DC814.jpeg
CBAE0E1C-30A1-4A8E-90EB-40A40BD11446.jpeg

Thought I would share this egg separating idea I found online. Using small embroidery cards, I cut them down a bit to fit in the incubator so that I can hatch different breeds at the same time. I used small zip ties that I use to band older birds, to tie the cards together. My silkies and Polkies look almost identical at hatch. The last batch I was home and I was able to see each one hatch and then band them as I took them out of the incubator. This time around we may not be home for several hours, so I thought this would be a good idea. I’m hoping they do not melt in the heat, as others have used them, I assume they will not. I’ll have to keep an eye and see.😊View attachment 2871510
View attachment 2871513View attachment 2871512
I love to do crafts with Plastic Canvas and I taught my boys how too.
That's a neat idea!

Thought I would share this egg separating idea I found online. Using small embroidery cards, I cut them down a bit to fit in the incubator so that I can hatch different breeds at the same time. I used small zip ties that I use to band older birds, to tie the cards together. My silkies and Polkies look almost identical at hatch. The last batch I was home and I was able to see each one hatch and then band them as I took them out of the incubator. This time around we may not be home for several hours, so I thought this would be a good idea. I’m hoping they do not melt in the heat, as others have used them, I assume they will not. I’ll have to keep an eye and see.😊View attachment 2871510
View attachment 2871513View attachment 2871512
I used these with my last quail hatch and they worked great, no melting at all! Now if only I had banded the chicks...

Very nice! :clap
Does she peck? She looks like she's protective. I have a couple that'll draw blood.
Always the smallest ones. :gig
She doesn’t peck me, not usually anyways. One time I was fussing over her too much and she gave me a couple of “ok, that’s enough!” pecks.
I’m pretty confident that she’s going to do just fine protecting the chicks. She was #2 in the pecking order before she went broody and schooled a little POL pullet that was (apparently) getting a little uppity and too big for her britches around my broody. I have no doubt that little pullet will work her way pretty high up in the pecking order eventually, but it didn’t happen that day! 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom