BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Thought these photos might be useful to others. Just pulled this early blood ring in a DAY 5 egg. A normal developing DAY 5 egg for comparison.🙂
E88A2435-63C1-4553-AE96-7412CEED171B.jpeg

D901B65D-C657-41C8-AB44-B43E5CF27B35.jpeg

Edited with a better normal photo.

Last edited:
This might help those worried about power outages
That's excellent information!

I'll add that for those who have a large incubator or enough room...being able to add a heat sink helps to stabilize temperatures quicker if the incubator is opened. A heat sink can also help maintain temperatures for a longer period of time should one experience a power outage. A closed container of water, gel packs, a brick (although I don't know anyone who might have this much room when setting eggs because we usually fill our incubators with eggs) I tend to use more eggs as a heat sink.
denkend_smilie_0004.gif
:gig

It has been fluctuating yes. Kebonnix in the same room and steady. My husband thinks it could be due to the laptop cord as it has a slightly higher voltage so maybe it’s turning the fan faster, but if it’s adjusted up 0.5-1 degrees it gets too hot. The last few days it’s been at 98.5 at the lowest, won’t go above 99. Though if adjusted by 1 0.5 increment it gets close to 101. Can’t seem to find an even ground with this machine and by the time I get a replacement it will be too late. So at this point it is what it is. The batch of eggs in my nurture right was from in state so I was hoping my hatch rate would be better than the eggs from Florida (I’m in wa state). Afraid the fluctuations are gonna kill the 7 live embryos (of 16)
There are a few things you could try. Since this is a new incubator, you could contact the company/business where you purchased this incubator. Tell them what happened, it is assumed that this item would have some type of warranty. Perhaps they can advise regarding the temperature fluctuations. Perhaps they can replace this unit after this hatch.

In the meantime to save this hatch, if you own an infrared thermometer, you could take the temperature of the eggs at each side of the fluctuation to determine if the fluctuation has much bearing on the egg temperatures. You would know if it made much difference and/or ease your mind.

You could try by keeping the room at a higher temperature (if possible) so the incubator doesn't cycle as much. Or you could try covering the incubator to help insulate it and minimize cycling and fluctuations. You could even try placing it in a larger box that can be closed to hold the heat in. This is what I'd try.

*Please make certain that the incubator doesn't get too hot if you do try changing the environment of the incubator. It shouldn't, but I tend to air on the side of caution. :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom