Bzzzz Bzzzz

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Dec 29, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Ordered my Honey bees for this spring today....from Hardeemans Apiary in Georgia. Getting two 3lb packages of Italian Bees + Italian Queens. Each package will contain about 10,000 bees plus the queen. Really looking forward to getting my girls! Also have the Feral swarm who I think have currently gone dormant down in their hive.
    Building 2-3 more hives before spring and ready for the bees!
    [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Wow very cool, I didn't know you could just order them - actually I never thought about it before....

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yay congrats Sam! I'd love to do it but i'll see how all my quail and chicken hobbies go first [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, that sounds like a lot of bees. Is that a hobby? Or do you sell honey or use them for pollination?

How do you introduce the bees to their hive? Do they get their own new hive?

I am bee-stupid, but have always lived near people who've raised them and have been gracious enough to supply me with fresh honey!

YUM [​IMG]

5. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Hobby lol.....2 pacakges will only do 2 hives. 1 package per hive. Yes they get introduced into new hives. If you try mixing bees of seperate hives they will often kill eachother or things along that line. There are many videos on Youtube...just search INSTALLING PACKAGE BEES......I can't wait to get them!
    This will be my first year with bees. Looking forward to it!
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good luck with your beekeeping venture, Sam!

7. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks Cynn!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by