Cabbage worms!!!

This is the first year I have used permethrin powder on the garden. It is an insecticide also sold for poultry. I used it last year to control mites on a hen and her day-old chicks and it was effective and seemed safe. This is the same insecticide used in lice medicine for humans.
Anyway, it killed cabbage worms, eggplant bugs, and squash borers, and without it I wouldn't have crops from those veggies. I figured if I don't grow them myself, I'll buy veggies at the store that are sprayed with who knows what, so that was my justification for not remaining organic.
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 4.12.07 PM.png I get it at TSC for under $10.

They are European cabbage worms. They are the little white butterflies with a black dot on the wings.
Unless you net and kill all of those flyers, without chemicals, I recommend floating row covers.
They can then not lay their eggs on the plants.
I learned about it travelling in Latin America. That's how they keep the egg layers off the vegetables.

This is the first year I have used permethrin powder on the garden. It is an insecticide also sold for poultry. I used it last year to control mites on a hen and her day-old chicks and it was effective and seemed safe. This is the same insecticide used in lice medicine for humans.
Anyway, it killed cabbage worms, eggplant bugs, and squash borers, and without it I wouldn't have crops from those veggies. I figured if I don't grow them myself, I'll buy veggies at the store that are sprayed with who knows what, so that was my justification for not remaining organic.
View attachment 2257336I get it at TSC for under $10.
I have the promethrin10 liquid as I am in the process of treating my chickens for mites. I didn't even think to use it. Thanks for the info!!!

I use Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) spray. It is a safe, organic means to kill those caterpillars.

I hate cabbage moths. They go after anything in the brassica family- cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.

Edit: BT isn't a poison. It is actually a bacteria that is harmless to humans, but kills caterpillars when they eat it.

Last edited:
I use Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) spray. It is a safe, organic means to kill those caterpillars.

I hate cabbage moths. They go after anything in the brassica family- cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.
Yes, BT will kill all kinds of caterpillers. If you use that, you don't have to worry about washing off pesticide.
I have the promethrin10 liquid as I am in the process of treating my chickens for mites.
Please google the proper use of this product, don't take my word for it that it is safe. The powder I've used, btw is 0.25% permethrin. I have thoroughly washed any vegetable I used it on, and preferably not right after applying it, but at least a week later.

Back
Top Bottom