Cackle - Am I just being overly reactive??

Georgia460

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2015
Georgia
Is it normal to toss the babies like this?
I was going to order from Cackle for the 1st time and was checking out YT videos they have. There is one from 5 years ago where they show chicks being vaccinated. To me this handling of them seems cruel - they are delicate creatures, babies, and have feelings. If this is how they handle the chicks I'm not sure I want to order from them. They haven't taken the video down and comments were not anti what they were doing so is it just me? Is this just the way it's done at hatcheries?
I've read alot of positives about Cackle which is why I was leaning that way to order from them but now I'm on the fence. Could y'all help me out here??

Is it normal to toss the babies like this?
I was going to order from Cackle for the 1st time and was checking out YT videos they have. There is one from 5 years ago where they show chicks being vaccinated. To me this handling of them seems cruel - they are delicate creatures, babies, and have feelings. If this is how they handle the chicks I'm not sure I want to order from them. They haven't taken the video down and comments were not anti what they were doing so is it just me? Is this just the way it's done at hatcheries?
I've read alot of positives about Cackle which is why I was leaning that way to order from them but now I'm on the fence. Could y'all help me out here??
I know it seems wild, but this is normal. I have a video of my mama hen straight up punting her chick like three feet away from her on accident. The chick got under her feet when she was scratching around. Chicks are super duper resilient! Unless you start breeding and raising your own, every single hatchery will be handling its chicks in this manner.

Last edited:
I know it seems wild, but this is normal. I have a video of my mama hen straight up punting her chick like three feet away from her on accident. The chick got under her feet when she was scratching around. Chicks are super duper resilient! Unless you start breeding and raising your own, every single hatchery will be handling it's chicks in this manner.
All of my broodies chicks were scratch punted multiple times!!! They learn. Scratch scratch scratch, run in peck a few times, run out so momma can start over again. If chick is a little too slow, out the back she goes!!! Wash rinse repeat.

Every hatchery does it this way. Watch White House On The Hill’s video and see Murray McMurray hatchery does the same thing.
scroll through the comments of this video and see some people mentioned the same concerns you have. I do believe that they could be a bit more gentle but their ride to you isn’t any better, so it doesn’t help much. Anyway, Cackle is a great hatchery. Every bird I have ordered came in healthy, strong, and correctly sexed. Don’t hesitate to buy from them just because of what you saw in the video- ALL hatcheries are that way and it’s not a good reason to leave a bad rating.

Last edited:
Thank y'all for your quick replies. Now I feel kinda foolish posting this!:rolleyes::oops:
Not a new chicken owner (but guess it seems that way by my post); just never bred/never saw mamas deal with their chicks like that. I have horses and have seen some things mamas do but the foals seem so much more resilent than these little chicks.
Replies restored my hope in ordering from Cackle. Thanks again for the quick and helpful replies!

Back
Top Bottom