Cackle Hatchery

When I ordered from Cackle last year there were multiple deaths, almost half of them as it took over 3 1/2 days for the birds to arrive here. This was including up to three days after arrival and I was refunded for all of these birds. Perhaps they’ve changed their policy since then?🤔

When I ordered from Cackle last year there were multiple deaths, almost half of them as it took over 3 1/2 days for the birds to arrive here. This was including up to three days after arrival and I was refunded for all of these birds. Perhaps they’ve changed their policy since then?🤔
They said they “updated” their policies…

Looking back at My Pet Chicken, McMurray and Meyer Hatchery, all three mentioned brooder plates as an acceptable heating source for new chicks. My Pet Chicken, in fact, recommend against using the 250 watt heat lights. Since I’ve used these places to get chicks from and successfully raised the chicks using brooder plates, it never dawned on me to check out the recommendations from Cackle. If I had experienced failures I would’ve changed my setup. Maybe my previous success made me complacent?

Unless they arrive dead or late(which leads to many dying ) they don't offer refunds.

We had below freezing temps here in Missouri several mornings last week when they would have been shipping your chicks.
We have bought chicks from Cackle, but we are close enough to drive there and pick them up to avoid shipping stress.

Looking back at My Pet Chicken, McMurray and Meyer Hatchery, all three mentioned brooder plates as an acceptable heating source for new chicks. My Pet Chicken, in fact, recommend against using the 250 watt heat lights. Since I’ve used these places to get chicks from and successfully raised the chicks using brooder plates, it never dawned on me to check out the recommendations from Cackle. If I had experienced failures I would’ve changed my setup. Maybe my previous success made me complacent?
Unfortunately as a customer we agree to their terms when we place an order whether we're familiar with their recommendations or follow them. Hopefully others will be more careful before buying chicks if they use brooder plates. I thought they got as warm as a mother hen and was considering one!

I usually order from Murry McMurry or buy from the local feed stores. Sure, I lose one or two here or there, but I am generally successful. Last year I ordered from 25 silkies from Cackle. I had 5 to raise by the end of the week. I ordered from Hoover this year. 20 silkies and 10 turkeys. I had one of each DOA, and they didn't even want to hear about it... until 48 hours passed... just in case more didn't make it. I had 4 more silkie chicks pass in the 48 hours. As soon as I told them (well, next business day) they refunded me for all 6 birds. I'll order from Hoover again.

I usually order from Murry McMurry or buy from the local feed stores. Sure, I lose one or two here or there, but I am generally successful. Last year I ordered from 25 silkies from Cackle. I had 5 to raise by the end of the week. I ordered from Hoover this year. 20 silkies and 10 turkeys. I had one of each DOA, and they didn't even want to hear about it... until 48 hours passed... just in case more didn't make it. I had 4 more silkie chicks pass in the 48 hours. As soon as I told them (well, next business day) they refunded me for all 6 birds. I'll order from Hoover again.
I haven’t tried Hoover. I was excited because Cackle had black and buff Silkie chicks and all of mine are white. Only three black ones and 7 buff survived from the 21 plus dead on arrival chicks Cackle sent. I want to widen the gene pool and kinda mix and match with my current flock. I need to get better connected locally with others who raise chickens.

Cackle has always been wonderful to me. There is always a risk when ordering anything online and shipping live animals is no exception. It is clear in there policy where they stand im regards to refunds so it shouldn't have been a surprise to you when they wouldn't refund. It's important to make sure and order chicks when weather isn't so crazy, especially sensitive breeds like silkies.

Cackle has always been wonderful to me. There is always a risk when ordering anything online and shipping live animals is no exception. It is clear in there policy where they stand im regards to refunds so it shouldn't have been a surprise to you when they wouldn't refund. It's important to make sure and order chicks when weather isn't so crazy, especially sensitive breeds like silkies.
I’m glad you had a good experience with them. With one dead on arrival and three more dying the same day, that doesn’t qualify as “wonderful” for me. I can understand the chicks that died in the next two days not being refunded/replaced, but certainly having four dead on the first day (especially the DOA) without recompense is reason enough for me to neither use Cackle again, nor to recommend them to anyone. Again, I’m glad it worked out well for you - it didn’t for me.
A point of enlightenment for me is that Cackle has a very different brooding perspective than does My Pet Chicken, Meyer and McMurray Hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom