Cackle Hatchery

gingernutranger

Songster
12 Years
Aug 4, 2007
Has anyone ever ordered delawares, campine, lakenvelder, new hampshires, or any other heritage breed from Cackle Hatchery? What was the overall quality and appearence of the birds and does anyone have pictures?

I always like to know from others before ordering. Thanks

The only chicks we have ever ordered were barred rocks from Cackle Hatchery. We were totally impressed with their service and quality of the chicks. All arrived safe and healthy and grew up to be beautiful birds. We always recommend Cackle to anyone wanting to get chicks.

They have wonderful stock; here are some of mine
Dark Cornish

7892_hpim2478.jpg

Light Brahma

7892_hpim2424.jpg

Black Jersey Giant
7892_hpim2367.jpg

They are reasonable on prices and very hardy stock. I have purchased from them many times with minimal loss of chicks.
smile.png

Most of my birds are from Cackle. I have never had issues and have always been pleased with the quality. I have a Delaware from them but I don't have pictures. She is a pretty thing though!

I got chicks from them two time this spring I was very happy with them.
I would say for "hatchery birds" they are good quality.

Here is a Light Brahma cockerel and pullet I got from them this spring.. ( I got them April 23rd )
The cage I used for the photo is 22 high x 24 long..

Cockerel
33115_dsc_0480.jpg

Pullet
33115_dsc_0482.jpg

Chris

Our local Feed Store gets chicks through Cackle, we got 10 Speckled Sussex.

Straight Run, received 4 cockerels and 6 pullets, so that tends to indicate their stright run are not "what's left over when the needed number of females for other orders have been pulled out"

Local poultry judge looked at them at 2 months any said they did not look much like Speckled Sussex. I have untrained eyes, and they look like most of the pet quality pictures I have seen, but desired feathering on Speckled Sussex for show seems to be pretty complex.

One pullet has crooked toes on the outside of both feet. That could be from an injury at our house, might not be a hatchery defect. She is also darker than the others, so could be she could be an outlier i general.

Temperment and size has been very good, in line with the breed description.

First egg at 18 weeks. Eggs are not getting larger very fast.

I got Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex from Cackle. I am very pleased with them.

Here is a Speckled Sussex roo

37373_chickens_045.jpg

Here is a SS hen

37373_chickens_077.jpg

Here is a Barred Rock roo, excuse his tailfeatherlessness, he is finishing his molt. LOL

37373_100_4637.jpg

I am also selling hatching eggs from both breeds.

I have ordered hundreds of birds from Cackle. All of the birds have been good stock. You can not expect show quality from a hatchery. You can expect healthy birds that represent the breed or variety. I have ordered lakenvelder, new hamps and delaware from Cackle. I was pleased with the birds. The rhode island red I have were produced from stock I ordered from Cackle. I have two male new hapshire now that are growing like a weed. I plan on using them to increase the size of my rhode island red. My males are very dark mahogany but a bit on the small size.

Tim

I have placed two orders with Cackle hatchery this year and have been very pleased with my hatchery stock. The first was for Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks, and Dominiques. The second order was the Cackle Hatchery Surprise and an all heavy frypan special. Here is my photobucket link:

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/biomistake/.

I am fixing to harvest 4 of the dominiques and most of the roos from the surprise.

The Surprise/Special had Silkies dominiques, Production red Roos, hens and other Sexlinks hens. Black Australorps/Black Jersey Giants, White Rock, Possible White Jersey Giant, 4 Pekin Ducks, Silver Laced Wyandotes, Old English Games, Buff Orpingtons, Sexlink Roos 7. I think that about covers it. Enjoy the chicken pics.

Also the Dark Cornish and Sebrights Album has the aforementioned and 4 RIR roos. The fifth roo was killed by our husky when it decided to go walk about in the house unsupervised.

Interestingly enough my sexlink roos which are a month younger than the dominique roos are just a few ounces shy of the same weight which is why I am going to put them in freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom