Cackle Hatchery's "Happy Cackle Special (Hatchery Choice)" Assortment?

I ordere the :Happy Cackle" special for 3 years in a row. Haven't since 2008

Ducks.. were always a pair of Rouns

Geese.. Embden and Chinese

Turkeys... Spanish, Palm

The chicks were mixed heavy breeds and polish, mostly cockerels.

I thought it was a good deal and was satisfied with the breeds they sent.

Quote:
They've changed it since
wink.png

I saw this while trying to decide who to order from this year ... I have a credit coming from Murray McMurray but was SO dissatisfied with them that I am thinking I will just write off that credit and start fresh with a whole new hatchery.

I like the variety offered, and am thinking although I have always liked to pick specific chicks, maybe I will just gamble and hope for the best with this Special grouping.

I ordered 25 pullets from Cackle last fall and they sent an extra but it died. (but only one roo in the batch.) The thing about them is that several of them have a weird 'flat comb' that I've never seen on a barred rock. They must have some strange gene that is being bred into them 'cause I've never seen a barred rock with anything but a single comb! I was a little mad at them because they shipped one day early and I hadn't planned on leaving work to pick them up 'til the next day! They really need tracking numbers! I ordered from them because they were a little bit cheaper(ha) so I got what I paid for!
wink.png

I have only ordered from two hatcheries and of the two Cackle was the best. My black Sumatras are excellent birds that conform to the Standard with really black Gypsy faces which you hardly ever see these days with all the crossing these hatcheries do. Most hatcheries motto is "Quantity not Quality". I was very dissatisfied with the other hatchery because it was very evident My Thais were crossed with Sumatras.

I've seen the White Yokohamas that come from Cackle and they are magnificent! If you want birds to show and conform to the Standard, I would go with Cackle. I will definately order from them again!

This is just my experience and I do not want to put down any hatchery. I think they all have good and bad birds.

I ordered it this year. My babies are about 4 weeks old now and I'm pretty sure I've figured out what I got...

3 - White Broad Breasted Turkeys, 1 died at a week, our fault, improper feed
2 - Pekin Ducks
2 - African Geese
1 - Mottled Houdan, one of the geese killed it by trying to eat it's face, our fault, it was alive on arrival.
1 - White Cochin - died at a week
1 - Blue Cochin - died at two weeks
1 - Golden Laced Cochin - thinking cokerel
2 - Sicilian Buttercups, one is not growing but seems fine otherwise, the other, I'm thinking cockerel
2 - Buff Laced Polish, thinking cockerels, maybe, IDK
1 - White Capped Black Polish - Pullet
1 - unknown chipmunk pattern chick
1 - Egyptian Fayoumis
1 - Easter Egger, blue with buff overlay, thinking cockerel
1 - Silver Duckwing Yokohama
1 - Red Junglefowl
7 - possibly Red Sexlinks
2 - possibly Black Sexlinks

That's 30 birds in all, they gave us 3 extras

I'm happy with the assortment and with Cackle. I will most likely order from them again.

Back
Top Bottom