Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
Ok, so after reading a non-related post, I'm a little worried...Usually there is some sort of updated information by this point. Another thread said that due to bad weather the chicks were sent back to the hatchery, this was from another hatchery and from this past weekend...I know the weather was going to be cold at the Cackle Hatchery but I didn't actually check to see if it was going to be icy/nasty. I don't remember the route our order took a couple of weeks ago from Cackle but I do know that our friends in Tennessee had really bad ice storms...

Come on Slips !! Getting me worried over here. I do need some kind of sleep before chaos happens tomorrow lol. Hopefully our little ones are fine while making their journey and it will update soon or in the morning. I am sure if they had to return our chicks back to the hatchery. We would have gotten a email or a call at least to let us know.

Crossing my fingers and toes that they are A O K !!!

Come on Slips !! Getting me worried over here. I do need some kind of sleep before chaos happens tomorrow lol. Hopefully our little ones are fine while making their journey and it will update soon or in the morning. I am sure if they had to return our chicks back to the hatchery. We would have gotten a email or a call at least to let us know.

Crossing my fingers and toes that they are A O K !!!
I would think they would let us know too but the other thread said they didn't for them...different hatchery though. I'm 99% sure they've just missed the scanners and we're going to get bright and early wake up call in the morning!

We've moved our brooder out into the grow out pen (its actually a small coop) for the chicks we have outside to sleep in at night...I was going to move it back in but its working perfectly for the outside chicks now I don't know what to do! We have a playpen inside as a brooder for 11 bantams, 2 ducks and a slightly injured 3 week old naked neck, so there's really no room for the new guys there...Why am I just now figuring all of this out?! Last resort we can bring in the plastic pond we used last year for our first time but it wasn't ideal...

ohh I hope you guys get it sorted out before the morning . eeeks

We have our main brooder for the 2 week growing for chicken chicks and we have a separate brooder setup for any game birds we might receive.

btw Our surprises that are on the way. Are they the first ones on this thread for 2014?

Last edited:
Ok, so after reading a non-related post, I'm a little worried...Usually there is some sort of updated information by this point. Another thread said that due to bad weather the chicks were sent back to the hatchery, this was from another hatchery and from this past weekend...I know the weather was going to be cold at the Cackle Hatchery but I didn't actually check to see if it was going to be icy/nasty. I don't remember the route our order took a couple of weeks ago from Cackle but I do know that our friends in Tennessee had really bad ice storms...
Cackle called me once when my box got returned by the post office. Sad thing is they have to "destroy" those chicks b/c they can't reship.

I wouldn't worry too much about tracking not updating. Over the last 6 months virtually none of my tracking numbers for non-poultry priority mail items have updated until AFTER they were delivered. I called the 800 number and complained only to be told the number was "for post office use and not to be used by the consumer to get real-time updates." I was flabbergasted! My old mail person used to just deliver packages to random houses so tracking is kinda important for my Amazon packages lol

eta I-40 around Memphis was closed yesterday due to ice. We had some here, but we were just on the fringes. I did watch the thermometer outside drop 30 degrees in an hour. I had a silkie freeze to death inside the coup last night. I don't have anyway of running heat that far over so now all 14 remaining silkies are in the dang brooder behind my laundry room since it will be cold again tonight.

Last edited:
Cackle called me once when my box got returned by the post office. Sad thing is they have to "destroy" those chicks b/c they can't reship.
I thought the same thing but the other posters were so relieved their chicks were safe and not dead in a box I didn't want to say anything. Could they possibly still sell them locally?

ohh I hope you guys get it sorted out before the morning . eeeks

We have our main brooder for the 2 week growing for chicken chicks and we have a separate brooder setup for any game birds we might receive.

btw Our surprises that are on the way. Are they the first ones on this thread for 2014?

We'll get something together to at least get us started.
big_smile.png

We kept our 2 turkey in with the chicks last year. We only had them for a week before we sold them though. We have ducks in with our chicks right now, I'm sure we'll eventually get them their own set up.

I think others have gotten surprises this year...maybe under the 2014 hatchery orders thread?

I thought the same thing but the other posters were so relieved their chicks were safe and not dead in a box I didn't want to say anything. Could they possibly still sell them locally?
Probably they would try depending on how many birds and the individual hatchery. I don't know if all of them have a store front.

I had a bad year of birds a few years back and only one thing was the hatcheries fault. My first shipment was flattened at the post office and returned to Cackle. It was my understanding that a pallet of them were accidentally crushed.
barnie.gif
Then my next shipment arrived squashed at my local post office. Then they put the wrong label on a box and I got turkeys (ok, not so bad!). My replacement box got stranded at a p.o. a couple hours from here overnight after not being put on the truck. A lady worker at the p.o. went home and got food/water for them and took care of them until they were put on the midnight truck since it had already been three days. Hardin Poultry/Heirloom Orpingtons is local to me and they have a terrible time with the p.o. I think that is why they are moving to Florida.

Finally got a change. Showing a (~~ March 4, 2014 Depart USPS Sort Facility . KANSAS CITY, MO 64121~~).

They aren't heading back to Cackle !!! Wohhoo. We still doing some temp adjusting for them in the morning.

I am praying for no DOAs !!!

Probably they would try depending on how many birds and the individual hatchery. I don't know if all of them have a store front.

I had a bad year of birds a few years back and only one thing was the hatcheries fault. My first shipment was flattened at the post office and returned to Cackle. It was my understanding that a pallet of them were accidentally crushed.
barnie.gif
Then my next shipment arrived squashed at my local post office. Then they put the wrong label on a box and I got turkeys (ok, not so bad!). My replacement box got stranded at a p.o. a couple hours from here overnight after not being put on the truck. A lady worker at the p.o. went home and got food/water for them and took care of them until they were put on the midnight truck since it had already been three days. Hardin Poultry/Heirloom Orpingtons is local to me and they have a terrible time with the p.o. I think that is why they are moving to Florida.
Oh my goodness...I first literally gasped out loud at the pallet of crushed chicks. I understand things happen but I can't even imagine! Our local post office has been wonderful and luckily our shipments haven't had to much 'drama'...that waits to happen once the chicks are here and a few weeks old...what happened to the days where everyone would have been like the lady that went out of her way to take care of the chicks?

Finally got a change. Showing a (~~ March 4, 2014 Depart USPS Sort Facility . KANSAS CITY, MO 64121~~).

They aren't heading back to Cackle !!! Wohhoo. We still doing some temp adjusting for them in the morning.

I am praying for no DOAs !!!
Ours says the same, just no time listed. I'm hoping its all just a delay in scanning/reporting and they didn't just leave Kansas City, since there's no way they will be here by tomorrow morning if that's the case!

I went to Target and picked up a large storage container for a temporary brooder to get us by a couple of days. Luckily my husband is off for a couple of days so when I figure out what we're doing he'll be here to help. We might have to break down and sell some of the older ones that are in the grow out pen...I went way overboard this year...

Back
Top Bottom