Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Thanks for the input y'all. I am new to cackle but there are some bad reviews online and it kinda scared me when this happened but to hear how well it went for all of you, it sets me at ease.

Thanks for the input y'all. I am new to cackle but there are some bad reviews online and it kinda scared me when this happened but to hear how well it went for all of you, it sets me at ease.

There are bad reviews for all the big hatcheries. I've seen over and over that the staff at Cackle are unfriendly and unhelpful--the few issues I've had were quickly resolved--I'm not a big poultry buyer ($200/year) and they still seem like they've tried to keep me as a customer. The Surprise box and their service is exactly why I end up buying more and more birds from them every year.

The Surprise box is such a good way to experience some breeds you may never think to buy or balk at the price. This year in my surprise box I got some Saipan--I've been wanting them for years, but couldn't justify the price at Cackle. It's early yet, but I'm fairly confident I'll be buying some from Cackle next year. I also got some Black Laced Red Wyandottes, which again they charge a premium for that variety--so far I'm liking them a lot. Gosh, my order for next year is already getting out of hand.

Last edited:
They moved my order as well but I don't mind. Sometimes hatches don't go as planned. I would rather wait and get healthy birds. Also they put you at the front if the line and you get a great assortment.

I know, and I am thankful everything worked out. They were very nice on the phone and I didn't mean to sound gripy on here. I was just upset because I knew my kids would be disappointed. I am sure the order will be great and the boys took the news better than I expected. I am pretty impressed they were able to arrange for a new ship date so quickly.

Sorry I haven't updated. We lost half of our original order two weeks ago. They must've gotten cold on shipment. It was terrible. I called Cackle. They shipped me out half of a surprise and replacement chicks for the ones that I specifically ordered. These chicks arrived Friday. Not a single DOA, still not deaths. We've ordered from Cackle for three years now. We've never had a DOA or a problem after. I'm not sure what happened, but I am happy with how they've handled it. Suffice to say, that's why I didn't post more pictures. Here are two that that I am not sure about. I have two of the chipmunks (possibly Phoenix?), and only one of the yellow & gray. They yellow/gray (3 pics) is THE smallest chick I've ever seen. It is easily half the size of the other chicks. I've searched the website & the catalog and haven't been able to find it. I did not get turkeys or waterfowl with either shipment. I spoke with Karen for the re-order. She specifically requested that I get non-chick varieties, but still did not. We ARE ordering turkeys from Cackle later in the season, so I'll be getting them regardless.
That looks like a Spitzhauben to me!

Sorry I haven't updated. We lost half of our original order two weeks ago. They must've gotten cold on shipment. It was terrible.
I called Cackle. They shipped me out half of a surprise and replacement chicks for the ones that I specifically ordered.
These chicks arrived Friday. Not a single DOA, still not deaths.

We've ordered from Cackle for three years now. We've never had a DOA or a problem after. I'm not sure what happened, but I am happy with how they've handled it. Suffice to say, that's why I didn't post more pictures.

Here are two that that I am not sure about. I have two of the chipmunks (possibly Phoenix?), and only one of the yellow & gray. They yellow/gray (3 pics) is THE smallest chick I've ever seen. It is easily half the size of the other chicks. I've searched the website & the catalog and haven't been able to find it.

I did not get turkeys or waterfowl with either shipment. I spoke with Karen for the re-order. She specifically requested that I get non-chick varieties, but still did not. We ARE ordering turkeys from Cackle later in the season, so I'll be getting them regardless.

Any updated pics of the little cuties???

Here is a Cochin I received from my second surprise box. I have 3 more coming and I am ordering another. It's addicting lol.

Here is an update on my surprise box.... My ship date was yesterday but i never received a tracking number or email so I just called thinking they might have to reschedule again and she told me my box shipped yesterday! They said it should make it to my post office tomorrow. I am excited! I will post pictures as soon as I open it. What do y'all guess I will get? I will be happy no matter what. I am kinda hoping for a turkey. I just hatched out 22 geese yesterday so it is ok if I do not get any waterfowl but if I do, at least I am set up for it. All chicks would be great too. I just can't wait!

Here is an update on my surprise box.... My ship date was yesterday but i never received a tracking number or email so I just called thinking they might have to reschedule again and she told me my box shipped yesterday! They said it should make it to my post office tomorrow. I am excited! I will post pictures as soon as I open it. What do y'all guess I will get? I will be happy no matter what. I am kinda hoping for a turkey. I just hatched out 22 geese yesterday so it is ok if I do not get any waterfowl but if I do, at least I am set up for it. All chicks would be great too. I just can't wait!

Thanks for posting this! I'll have to call them. I didn't get a tracking number either (not hatchery surprise box) and figured it was rescheduled. I better find out if I need to get my brooder warmed up for tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom