Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I did call, and they were shipped. I'm glad I called--since your earlier post, I had just assumed they were rescheduled. Their emails must be getting marked as spam--they said the email was sent, but they resent it to me and I got it this morning.

Last edited:
I dont have any surprise box pictures yet but do y'all think if I post a couple of pictures of some pullets I got from a Cackle hen pack, y'all could help me guess their breed? I am usually good at this but these have me stumped.

All three pullets have pea combs, are heavier than they appear, have hard tight feathering, and the two that are not buff have lacing on their feathers. They look almost like game chickens. I love them and think they are beautiful but what are they?

I'd call the top, dark bird, a Dark Cornish. The legs look white, are they?

Gosh, pea combs? I did get one Easter Egger in my Hatchery Surprise that is beardless, but she at least has green legs--but you never know with them. Cackle doesn't advertise that they have White Laced Red (and your bird doesn't really look that color anyhow) or Buff Cornish, so I have no idea. I'd have to guess Easter Eggers considering the pea comb and that the colors don't match any of the breeds that have a standard.

My husband just reminded me that around the same time as I received the cackle order, I received an order of chicks from murray mcmurray and to make it to my minimum chick order, I ordered a few extra pullets from their rare assorted layers. I still have no idea what they are. The buff could be buff chantecleer maybe? I don't know. It fits the description but I have never seen one in person so I have no idea.

My husband just reminded me that around the same time as I received the cackle order, I received an order of chicks from murray mcmurray and to make it to my minimum chick order, I ordered a few extra pullets from their rare assorted layers. I still have no idea what they are. The buff could be buff chantecleer maybe? I don't know. It fits the description but I have never seen one in person so I have no idea.

Chanteclers have a cushion comb, so look to see if it has a pea or cushion. However, I don't think McMurray has Buff Chanteclers (but it doesn't look like they have buff Cornish either). McMurray and Cackle both have Dark Cornish, McMurray has White Laced Red (and I think hatchery stock of WLRC can be pretty sloppy looking).

ETA: and my ducklings, goslings and chicks from Cackle made it this morning--all look great.

Last edited:
Ok, I got my chicks this morning. I received 52 total and that includes 2 peking ducks. They all arrived peeping and alive. I took these pics as i was taking them out to put them in the brooder so they seem hunched and sleepy but they perked up with some heat, food, and water. Here they are:

Golden laced Polish

Five with feathered legs. I think they are cochins.

Two ducklings

Little yellow fluffballs

Two red chicks

Tiny chipmunk striped chicks. Smaller than standard but bigger than bantam so i am not sure?

Solid black with black legs and beak.

Two chicks that are smaller with red zigzags. Im thinking maybe Campine? Not sure.

And these....no idea. Lol

Golden laced wyandottes?

Back
Top Bottom