Caged bird experts.UPDATe he's home..and NAMED

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Hi everybody!

We have the option to adopt a 6 month old conure(green cheek). He has a crooked beak...has had it since he was very young at least 12 weeks old...( the people who have him now said it was their impression he was born with it, but have only had him since he was 12 weeks so can only verify he has had it since that age)

I am struggling with this decision. We've always wanted a conure.. This guy was handfed but has been living with people who aren't really "bird" people and has not been out of his cage for the lat 2.5 months or so(not even once!).

He appears healthy, beautiful feathers, healthy looking poops, clear eyes and nares... He is very inquistive and active.

My main question is, I don't mind an occasional vet bill..I suspect he will need fairly regular beak trims by an avian vet.. But I am concerned about the cause of the crooked beak..

Do you think its is possible that a bird so young could have this beak problem caused by a liver disease?

I don't mind footing a bill for beak trims but don't want to adopt a large vet bill right off the hop...

I hope that his young age points more to beak trauma, improper handfeeding or poor nutrition.. all things that I hope should be relatively easy to treat with beak trims..

If its liver disease I worry it will be very expensive and would rather not get a bird that already has a problem that will be pricey to treat and who will probably die an untimely death...

Any advice?

Last edited:
I have an umbrella cockatoo with a crooked beak. I believe his was caused by improper handfeeding. His previous owner use to take him for beak trims. I was planning to do it myself when one day I noticed he had trimmed it himself just fine. He has been fine for the 10+ years I have had him.

I say adopt the little guy.

Yikes...his beak is pretty severe...what do you guys think, i am undecided...
27498_100_1254.jpg

27498_100_1256.jpg

I would take those pictures to an avian vet as ask them what kind of potential health issues, long term solutions, etc would you be looking at with the little guy.

That beak is very severely crooked...I have no idea what caused that either something hereditary or improper handfeeding maybe...

awww he needs a serious trim:-( cute as a button- but Id be nervous. I would watch the vet carefully and then do it yourself when needed-IMO-but that crooked beak just might be so severe it would be hard for you:-(

Well I have a very expeirienced bird friend who would be willing to do"minor" trims for e. But but first in order is a vet call to try and figure out why..its so bad..

The bird was eating what appears to be rabbit pellets and whole kernals of corn...I asked what type of food he was on and they said....Ummm...cockatiel seed...

There wasn't a seed husk in the cage and it obviously needed to be cleaned.

i had a white capped pionus that's beak was worse than that when i found him, he was in my pap's backyard, i got him parrot seed and he ate, he had adapted the poor thing, his top beak was to his belly and the bottom was up over his head, his bottom beak had a crack in it, i took him to the vet and he trimmed it, the little fella didn't know what to do with himself once it was trimmed, he felt so much better, a friend of my mom's took him, she only had to get him trimmed like once a year, i say take him and see how he does, he could be a great pet and you could make his life so much better

Quote:
that is a pelleted diet, most people swear by the diet of pellets, lots of people say they need seed, its sorta like the dog food discussions everyone will have their own ideas

i would probably get the bird, just because I know that I could give it the proper home, but that is the way I am lol

(by the way we have a green cheek conure named Buddy, his FAVORITE toys are a birdy hiding house, and a wreath of fleece I made him!!!)

MomtoSyd&Emma :

Quote:
that is a pelleted diet, most people swear by the diet of pellets, lots of people say they need seed, its sorta like the dog food discussions everyone will have their own ideas

i would probably get the bird, just because I know that I could give it the proper home, but that is the way I am lol

(by the way we have a green cheek conure named Buddy, his FAVORITE toys are a birdy hiding house, and a wreath of fleece I made him!!!)

I really don't think it was pelleted feed. We have tiels on a pelleted feed and they said he was on "tiel seed. I asked to see the bag so I could buy some..they didn't have anymore..that was the last of it. I also can't imagine whole kernals of corn is appropriate fare? I am like you, I've already called and am picking him up this morning..the poor dear.

Now a name..they call him cashew, because they think his beak looks like one. We are going to change his name..I am thinking Jasper!​

Back
Top Bottom