Caged species sharing a building?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RJSchaefer, Nov 27, 2013.

1. RJSchaefer

RJSchaefer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    I know there is a great debate on whether chicken & quail can peacefully co-exist, however I haven't found an answer to my question.

Until recently, my chickens are largely free-range. This was causing trouble. We have them cooped right now, but I have been told by local friends that caging might be better. I'm still on the fence about this one.

Assuming I did decide to cage my layers, would I be able to house them in the same building as the quail? Not the same cages, just the same physical building. Or would it be too much of a biosecurity risk?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Disease is spread thru the air by birds sneezing, coughing, feather dander, on your shoes, on your hands, sharing utensils for cleaning, waterers or feeders.

All this being said, not all chickens carry the disease that kill quail, however you take your chances when the above conditions exist. If your building is large enough and well ventilated, you might be ok keeping them far enough apart, and you yourself practiced bio security between the two species.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. RJSchaefer

RJSchaefer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    Nope and nope.

It's a detached one car garage. We used to use it as a rabbitry (that failed miserably). I'll stick with just the quail in there and perhaps put the rabbits in as well, assuming we ever decide to give that a shot again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by