1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

calcification on egg shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fiberdrunk, Dec 12, 2011.

1. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I have two Ameraucana hens that are 9 1/2 months old. They started laying about 2 months ago. They consistently lay eggs that have lots of calcium on the outside of them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it a sign of insufficient calcium, or too much? They eat Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles with oyster shell. I also feed their egg shells back to them (after baking them and grinding them to powder in the blender first). What do you think? None of my other chickens or turkeys have eggs like these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    are the shells thicker than normal all over? Do you have the oyster shell mixed into their food? The over-calcification on the shells may be a result of too much calcium in their diets. Try putting the oyster shells and crushed egg shells in a dish on the side and give them a choice.

I have read somewhere (probably here) that consistantly odd egg shells can be the result of a disease, odd shells being a permenant side effect of the disease, but I think it is more wrinkled shells than consistant calcium deposits on shells...maybe someone else with more experience in this arena will stop by soon...

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  4. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    We keep the oyster shell and powdered egg shells in a separate bowl from their feed. I'm wondering, based on the link provided, if it's a lighting issue. Our coop/run is in the shade. The run has a clear roof to let in as much light as possible, but during the summer, with full leaf cover, not much direct sunlight comes through (that's probably changed now with the leaves dropping off the trees). Hmmmm...

Thanks for the link and info!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by