Calcium deposits on all the eggs

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
Hi!
My hens are all one year old. The last month or so, they have all been laying eggs with calcium deposits on them. I don't give them layer feed because I have a rooster, so the calcium in the pellets are 1,87% (the layer feed has 3,5% here). So I give them oyster shells in a separate container, but I think they eat too much of that?

20230906_162622.jpg

Hmmm...might be eating too much, but I kinda doubt it.
You could try taking away the OS for a week and see if it clears up.
But I don't really see it as a problem.

Eggs were perfectly smooth until a month ago?
Have you seen them eating more of the OS?
Are they 12 months old or more like ~16 months old?

if you scrape a calcium pimple off, and it creates a hole, that's a sign of excess vit D. Given the latitude you're at @Henfla , I imagine you get a lot of sun in summer, which might explain it.

Hi!
My hens are all one year old. The last month or so, they have all been laying eggs with calcium deposits on them. I don't give them layer feed because I have a rooster, so the calcium in the pellets are 1,87% (the layer feed has 3,5% here). So I give them oyster shells in a separate container, but I think they eat too much of that?

View attachment 3629296
Just FYI, You can feed layer feed, and your rooster will be fine.

I've got silkies, and now and then I've gotten eggs like that, but it's pretty rare, and I never knew what did it. Maybe give it a couple of days and see if it just passes.

if you scrape a calcium pimple off, and it creates a hole, that's a sign of excess vit D. Given the latitude you're at @Henfla , I imagine you get a lot of sun in summer, which might explain it.
My latitude is 69°. We have had alot of sun this summer and we have midnight sun also. But now it gets darker and darker.
Ok, so should I do anything with them getting excess vit D?

Hmmm...might be eating too much, but I kinda doubt it.
You could try taking away the OS for a week and see if it clears up.
But I don't really see it as a problem.

Eggs were perfectly smooth until a month ago?
Have you seen them eating more of the OS?
Are they 12 months old or more like ~16 months old?
They are like 16 months :) Most of them were pretty smooth earlier, yes, but my bantam has had eggs with these bumps since she started laying.

My latitude is 69°. We have had alot of sun this summer and we have midnight sun also. But now it gets darker and darker.
Ok, so should I do anything with them getting excess vit D?
It looks very minor, as others have said, and if the pimples scrape off without creating a hole in the shell, then something else is causing it. If they do leave a hole, then maybe look over what you're feeding them, with special attention to any vit D supplementation in the feed or some element of it, and leave that out for a while, to see if it fixes it.
Maybe your bantam has an issue with her shell gland, which may self correct in time.

Back
Top Bottom