1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calcium

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MikeTheGardener, Sep 8, 2016.

1. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    How much calcium should your hens get?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    If you are referring to things like crushed oyster shell to keep their eggs shells hard, I think most people just let them have that free choice. That won't eat too much but seem to eat the amount they need. I have mine in a vertical 6" PVC pipe 4 feet long, screwed to a square base. At the base a hole is cut and they peck at the shell at their leisure. I only have to refill it every six months. Hope that helps.

3. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Never thought of doing that. I simply just scatter them around their run.

4. autumnlchick

autumnlchick Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2016
    One of the best calcium supplements available to your chickens are there own egg shells. 98% calcium, just crush the shells and feed them in separate container or daily out of your hand, mine see them like a treat because I feed it to them by hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by