1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calibrating hygrometer - am I doing it wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akorte, Jun 17, 2017.

1. akorte

akorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2017
    It hasn't been in there long yet, but the humidity shot up! Did I add too much water to the salt?

20170617_214319.jpg

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Not sure how much it matters but I use a paste not a slurry of salt. Add drops of water until saturated. I also allow a pillow of air when zip sealing bag as to not obstruct the gauge.

I see you did this yesterday. Did it make any difference to use a slurry of salt? The environment in bag should have read steady after 4+ hours. Maybe a slurry only speeds up the test. Let me know.

akorte likes this.
  3. akorte

akorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2017
    Thanks for replying! I was thinking I had too much water, so I dumped it out and did it again in a plastic container. Over night it leveled to 81%. I re-did it this morning, and it had leveled to 82%. So it's reading 6-7%. high. This will be my first time incubation, wish me luck!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Good luck.

It's handy to write (-6%) on a piece of masking tape and stick it right to the incubator as a reminder to subtract 6 for true RH. Or 7, whatever, a percent here or there doesn't matter. I've seen gauges off by as much as 15%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by