Calibrating hygrometer - am I doing it wrong?

akorte

Songster
Apr 18, 2017
It hasn't been in there long yet, but the humidity shot up! Did I add too much water to the salt?

20170617_214319.jpg

Not sure how much it matters but I use a paste not a slurry of salt. Add drops of water until saturated. I also allow a pillow of air when zip sealing bag as to not obstruct the gauge.

I see you did this yesterday. Did it make any difference to use a slurry of salt? The environment in bag should have read steady after 4+ hours. Maybe a slurry only speeds up the test. Let me know.

Not sure how much it matters but I use a paste not a slurry of salt. Add drops of water until saturated. I also allow a pillow of air when zip sealing bag as to not obstruct the gauge.

I see you did this yesterday. Did it make any difference to use a slurry of salt? The environment in bag should have read steady after 4+ hours. Maybe a slurry only speeds up the test. Let me know.

Thanks for replying! I was thinking I had too much water, so I dumped it out and did it again in a plastic container. Over night it leveled to 81%. I re-did it this morning, and it had leveled to 82%. So it's reading 6-7%. high. This will be my first time incubation, wish me luck!

Good luck.

It's handy to write (-6%) on a piece of masking tape and stick it right to the incubator as a reminder to subtract 6 for true RH. Or 7, whatever, a percent here or there doesn't matter. I've seen gauges off by as much as 15%.

Back
Top Bottom