Calico Princesses

Pics

catobsessed

Songster
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
Man it has been forever since I posted here! With covid and all, the household agreed it might be a good idea to get some good laying hens in case we have meat shortages so we can get eggs as a protein source.

Anyways, we got a new breed from Tractor Supply called the Calico Princess, and I was just wondering if these are a sex link breed?

9B6E9810-BF11-46CC-9E99-23012E29C191.jpeg

(This one is Zelda.)

We also got 4 alleged Golden Comets last month, but 2 of them turned out to be roosters! 😱 All of these are also pure white! The reason TS gave me was because there was some sort of genetic mutation that caused them to be pure white... Not sure if it’s true, but hey I’ll buy it! The chicks are so sweet so I’m not even mad. They grew up so fast though!
08DA372E-0049-4946-9EDB-26223CAF5CB0.jpeg

(Ah yes, the “Gold Comet.”)

Man it has been forever since I posted here! With covid and all, the household agreed it might be a good idea to get some good laying hens in case we have meat shortages so we can get eggs as a protein source.

Anyways, we got a new breed from Tractor Supply called the Calico Princess, and I was just wondering if these are a sex link breed?

View attachment 2275471
(This one is Zelda.)

We also got 4 alleged Golden Comets last month, but 2 of them turned out to be roosters! 😱 All of these are also pure white! The reason TS gave me was because there was some sort of genetic mutation that caused them to be pure white... Not sure if it’s true, but hey I’ll buy it! The chicks are so sweet so I’m not even mad. They grew up so fast though!
View attachment 2275477

I don't know anything about the Calico Princess, but that looks like either a Red-Sex-Link cockerel or a Leghorn pullet.

View attachment 2275471
(This one is Zelda.)

View attachment 2275477
That white ones a Cornish cross and they usually don’t live to laying age and nobody keeps them because of heart problems and legs breaking. I do keep one as a pet but they require a certain care and I definitely recommend processing.

The calico princess is a chzech project breed. they sell parent stock to hatcheries. TSC gets their birds from Hoover's, you can read about the calico princess there. I didn't have that breed, but other chzech breeds, and got eggs starting at 18 weeks! I think yours are the D459 dominant red barred hybrid project, for use in pakistan, bangladesh, ukraine, poland and slovakia ((I'm sure they'll do fine whereever you live too though). enjoy the birds!

ETA:
https://dejejvistas.lv/en/portfolio/dominant-red-barred-d-459/
is a link to info about what I'm sure are the calico princess, so they appear to be sexable by their color.

The white one is a CX. They often don’t make it past slaughter age. Heart failure, lameness, bone issues...I could go on.
Omg then why are ppl still breeding these?? Man I’m already attached to these two... but if this is the case then I just need to enjoy every second with them. And how did tractor supply think that these were golden comets 😳 if these chicks turn out to be roosters too then I’m not buying chicks from them anymore. 😪

Calico are sex links and I totally recommend them. Mine is from early April and huge. Also super friendly and that says something with my birds.
Oh that’s a relief! Do you know the diffence between the males and female species? I love friendly chickens! I’m starting the taming process and one already ate from my hand! I hope these guys will like getting pet, chicken feathers are so soft.

That white ones a Cornish cross and they usually don’t live to laying age and nobody keeps them because of heart problems and legs breaking. I do keep one as a pet but they require a certain care and I definitely recommend processing.

ohhh my god you gotta be kidding me :((( well if she’s happens to pass, at least I’ll know why. Right now she’s pretty healthy though. is possible she might be another white breed of chicken? It may not have been what I wanted to hear, but I really appreciate the heads up.

Omg then why are ppl still breeding these?? Man I’m already attached to these two... but if this is the case then I just need to enjoy every second with them. And how did tractor supply think that these were golden comets 😳 if these chicks turn out to be roosters too then I’m not buying chicks from them anymore. 😪
Eh... they bred them bc they don’t need them to last past slaughter.
My recommendation? NEVER buy birds from TSC. Someone had turkey poults from them that were sold as Buff Orps.

Back
Top Bottom