california - CENTRAL COAST

Quote:
Hi Emily!

I know what you mean about there not being a lot of action swirling around CCFF, and unless you're a member already, you won't receive the emails telling you when and where the next meeting will be held, which, in turn, means that you won't know that at that meeting they discussed plans for their upcoming poultry sale in Templeton that's going to occur in March. It's almost like they need a press secretary to help get the word out about themselves, otherwise people who have joined will drop out, and no new people want to join what they consider to be a small, somewhat scattered, loosely organized, Organization. Were's the fun in that? Not that I'm trying to bag on them or anything because all the people I've ever come in contact with that are members of CCFF, well, they have been some of the nicest, most helpful chicken people I've ever met and I'm sure they're doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

OK. Enough from my soapbox. I was actually posting to let you know that californiahatchery.com sells your blue laced red wynadottes and they have a min. order of 3. But you're right...the shipping will put you in the poor house. I think it was about $40.00 to ship 3 of them to SLO !!! Add that to the $6.99 - 9.99 sticker price of the actual chicken and you've got yourself a whole month of internet and cable (with HBO and Showtime !!!)...lol !!! Or, if you incubate or better yet, have a good broody, you can do what I had to end up doing to get my seramas. Buy hatching eggs off of ebay. I think right now they have some blue laced red eggs on there for $10 - $30.00 (depending on the number of eggs you get) and most of them come with FREE SHIPPING !!! Just a thought. I had good luck with mine!

Take Care and if you have any birds you want to sell (or buy), let me know and I'll find out the exact date of CCFF's upcoming poultry sale.

-kim-

@DevilsDenHen...
...CCFF is going to be holding there semi-annual poultry sale on Saturday, March 14th at Templeton Feed and Grain on Main Street in downtown Templeton from 9:00 to noon, or until they're all sold out, whichever comes first.

Hope to see you there !!! And bring a friend!
woot.gif

-kim-

@inthesticks1847 ...
...I just sent an email to a friend of mine who knows a lot of chicken 'farmers' around here and other places. I'll let you know if he comes up with anything.
I'm sure you already know this, but some of the ones you listed can be purchased from online hatcheries on a limited availability basis.

-kim

@inthesticks1847 ...
...Well out of all the breeds you mentioned, the only one I found that you can get locally are some Blue Marans.
So if you'd like to have the email address and phone number for that person, send me a PM and I'll PM the info. back to you. I don't want to broadcast that information without telling him first, he might be overrun with calls...lol !!!
Anyway, hope that helps you somewhat. I know it's not a lot but it's the best I could do for right now. I'll keep my ears and eyes open for you though. I know that some of the big hatcheries sell some of those rare breeds and with some of them you only have to order 3 chickens at a time for them to send them to you. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for...

-kim-

Also in Arroyo Grande, I've had chickens/ducks for 8-9 years now. 4 chickens ( easter egger and 3 brown leghorns) and 5 ducks (cayuga).
Newish neighbor decided that they didn't like having poultry in the neighborhood. So the city of AG, which prides itself on the wild chickens running through the village, has said that they aren't legal here and I have 3 weeks to re-home them. They are aware that there are others in the neighborhood and as the neighbor pinpoints exactly which houses have them the will be making the same visit to those houses. They recommend a petition to keep the chickens but to honest I have no idea how to go about writing one. Is there anyone who can give me a hand or idea or?
Thanks in advance

Oh, and while I hope it won't be necessary thankfully I have found a home for my babies.

Back
Top Bottom