california - CENTRAL COAST

welcome-byc.gif
Hi there caramelsky7 and Welcome !!!

I just love this site...so informative and fun! I'm up here in A-Town, so compared to others I've talked to on this site, we're practically neighbors...lol !!!
What type(s) of chickens and/or other animals are you owned by?

-kim-

Hi I am in Arroyo Grande too! Just getting started with a new chicken coop and 4 chickens. I would like to get a Silverlace Wyandott. Do you know who might be selling any coop ready pullets. I am looking at dare2dreamfarms in Lompoc but they are out of the silver Wyandott right now.

Hi I am in Arroyo Grande too!  Just getting started with a new chicken coop and 4 chickens.  I would like to get a Silverlace Wyandott.  Do you know who might be selling any coop ready pullets.  I am looking at dare2dreamfarms in Lompoc but they are out of the silver Wyandott right now.
I purchased my 4 girls from dare2dreamfarms as chicks and was very happy with the outcome! Farm Supply usually has chicks of all kinds in April/May tractor supply also gets chicks in. Check with both places. They may know of year round options.

I live in Grover Beach. Got my chicks from Farm Supply almost a year ago as 3 day old chicks. (2 australorp, 2 americana and a wyandotte) Even though it was a lot of work from the time I got them to the time I could put them outside, it was well worth it. They are our babies and follow my husband and I around all over the place. We learned so much doing it this way! I would definitely say keep looking if pullets are what you want, but I would suggest getting them as baby chicks. So much fun! Farm supply in Arroyo Grande has a delivery calendar for all the different varieties of chicks and when they will be selling them at the store.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Karen & the Girls.... Abby, Gabby, Sadie, Fiona and Miss Margaret

Hello fellow central coasters! I'm located in SLO and actively looking for blue laced red wynadottes and BCM to add to my flock. Any local leads? All the hatcheries sell out so quickly and charge too much for shipping.
Thanks!

Emily

Quote:
@emilyfrancis ...
...the only place I've seen that even carries the blue laced red wynadottes is the Murray McMurrary Hatchery in Iowa. I know that the min. order up until April 1st is 25, but after April 1st the minimum number to order goes down to 15, and you can mix and match from several different breeds. So you and a couple of neighbors or friends could go in together on an order and potentially only get a few each of whatever breed you want! Makes the shipping charge so much easier to bear too, when you spread the wealth (pain...lol !!!) around. Just an idea because I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that has those. I don't know if you're a member of CCFF or not, but you could call their secretary or president and ask them. I know that Larry Stallings knows just about everyone and anyone who has chickens in their yard, so he might be able to point you in the right direction. If you need his number let me know, otherwise, have fun and good luck with your search! My own exhausting search recently came to a happy and harmonious end...I'm now the proud mama to 3 frizzle serama and one smooth coat serama !!! I hatched them myself from, believe it or not, ebay eggs! They're soooo adorable...and they look just like those little wind up toys in the shape of a chicken or bunny that you used to get as a kid at Easter, except cuter !!!

-kim-

One more thing...
...anyone out there in need of a rooster? I have several handsome gentleroos to choose from at the moment...each one more dashing than the next...and all of them are extremely sweet to their ladies and know what it takes to gallantly protect them. Chivalry IS NOT dead !!!

Thanks !!!

-kim-

P.S. shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you some pictures. I really do need to re-home at least one of them because for some reason, during this breeding season, two of my roos decided to gang up
on The General (a big, beautiful black and white splash silkie roo who's just as sweet as they come !!!). I think it may have something to do with him being a year and some months older than the other fellas and they're trying to 'run' him out of town, so to speak, so that they can rule the roost. (survival of the fittest, they say...or maybe that should be 'the youngest'...lol !!!) Anyway, he's a good guy and I feel sorry for him because they won't let him eat or free range with them anymore (I do feed him separately though). They won't allow him to be with any of the hens, even though he used to go steady with a splash pullet not too long ago. And talk about kicking a rooster when he's down...now he is even forbidden to roost in the same coop with them. He walks in the door at dusk and the other two gang up on him and team tag him with their beaks until he goes running out in a flurry of feathers down to the pigeon loft where the baby squabs have been letting him bed down for the past few nights...Poor, Poor General...can't somebody help him...PLEASE !!!

Wow Kim, Thanks for the reply. I may take you up on the contact down the road if I keep feeling the itch. I've looked into CCFF but haven't seen much action there in the last year. Are they still posting information about gatherings somewhere?

Cheers,
Emily

Back
Top Bottom