California-Inland Empire

Pics
I'm a newbie here. I live in Wildomar and am researching raising chickens. I'm leaning towards Plymouth Rocky because of their temperment and egg laying. Any suggestions or advise would be extremely helpful!
Plymouth Rocks are good, but so are Orpingtons. My Orpingtons not only let me pet them and scratch their back they always seem to like me around. I can't say the same for my other birds.

Ripped off in what way?.....Not as good of quality you were looking for?

I now see those same breeds at the same ages, and in better condition for less then half the price. I feel that because I was new to chickens at the time that she bumped up the prices... She was nice and all, just the prices were way to high.

Last edited:
I now see those same breeds at the same ages, and in better condition for less then half the price. I feel that because I was new to chickens at the time that she bumped up the prices... She was nice and all, just the prices were way to high.
sorry to hear that.....I have not purchased birds from her.....Have you had them evaluated by a poultry judge to see if they are of good or bad quality yet? I remember you saying showing would probably not be sometime you would want to do.But how do you know if they are worth or not worth what you paid....Do they have DQ traits for the breed ,per the standard of perfection? And good quality rare breed birds, breeder quality or show quality could run quit a bit .A breeder has to make money to keep there flocks fed. No,disrespect intended but I hope you may understand where I'm going with this. Most breeders are very resonable for PET quality birds,as they would rather find them homes as a cull method ,to people who just want to enjoy them.And some people just know they have good birds and have spent the time developing the breed ,time, work and showing them...and thier experience and knowledge is worth the price for the bird its self. Celeste ,I find to be extremely knowledgable about all forms of poultry....and who would be a great person to know if you are just starting out ,I.E proper feeding,hatching,if your birds become ill,as she prides herself on the fact that her birds are NOT carriers for an avian illness because she takes proper procedures to insure that..I enjoyed" talking chicken" with her ,which in my book is the best part of the hobby! I like chicken people and thier birds,whatever they do with them...anyone else agree?

Back
Top Bottom