California Mountain Chicks flock, garden and more!

Very nice run for them!
Thank you!! I wanted to separate Millie and the babies in their own area while also being able to interact with the flock. I didn’t want any accidental broken eggs or hurt chicks, especially since these eggs were purchased and came all the way from Oklahoma!

Here’s some photos of their chicken yard! We started with a 25’x25’ run when we first moved in last spring, and this spring I added on another 33’, making the run 25’x58’ in total! The smaller section has a 1’x1’ wire “roof” and the bigger section has heavy duty bird netting. I want to eventually put wire on top of the bigger section too, but that’s another $600 that I do not have or feel like spending right now! Waiting to get some woodchips for the addition, so far I added straw to the floor to choke out the horrible foxtail grass! Those things get stuck everywhere! I had to pull one out of my Faverolles mouth, it was stuck in the choanal slit (yes I did have to look up what that was called haha). Can’t wait to see what the plants in the run look like in a couple of years! They’re already looking a lot bigger from being planted last spring and summer!

7DD14009-2EDC-4800-B201-CEB3076A7D62.jpeg

13F19B9D-E002-4CC7-81E8-61B118A05153.jpeg

8B444233-74D0-4CCE-9FB8-093A4460693B.jpeg

AF2366D8-20B1-4044-9CB4-90C26F284C05.jpeg

AAD068EC-0B7E-4222-AE0B-052C16CA6D58.jpeg

Here’s some photos of their chicken yard! We started with a 25’x25’ run when we first moved in last spring, and this spring I added on another 33’, making the run 25’x58’ in total! The smaller section has a 1’x1’ wire “roof” and the bigger section has heavy duty bird netting. I want to eventually put wire on top of the bigger section too, but that’s another $600 that I do not have or feel like spending right now! Waiting to get some woodchips for the addition, so far I added straw to the floor to choke out the horrible foxtail grass! Those things get stuck everywhere! I had to pull one out of my Faverolles mouth, it was stuck in the choanal slit (yes I did have to look up what that was called haha). Can’t wait to see what the plants in the run look like in a couple of years! They’re already looking a lot bigger from being planted last spring and summer!

View attachment 3533787
View attachment 3533791
View attachment 3533795
View attachment 3533798
View attachment 3533801
Very nice area for your birds, ❤ they will be very happy in there!!

Very nice area for your birds, ❤ they will be very happy in there!!
Thank you! Always looking for ways to improve it and make it more entertaining for them, especially because they can't free range in my area! We have daytime coyotes and loose dogs which are the worst. My aunt who lives a property down had to stop free ranging because even within a fenced area, horses in that area, and a mastiff/st bernard mix out, the coyotes still came and grabbed her chickens mid day!

Wow, such amazing spaces! I love that you have chairs set up for human visitors to "roost" and hang out with the chickens. You have some interesting, creative "coop clutter" for the chooks' entertainment.
Thank you! We love the chairs to sit on while we are all out there haha, Surprisingly the chickens don't poop on them so that's nice. We had some friends and family over a couple weekends ago and everyone wanted to sit down on the chairs and visit with the girls!

Thank you! Always looking for ways to improve it and make it more entertaining for them, especially because they can't free range in my area! We have daytime coyotes and loose dogs which are the worst. My aunt who lives a property down had to stop free ranging because even within a fenced area, horses in that area, and a mastiff/st bernard mix out, the coyotes still came and grabbed her chickens mid day!
Predators are brutal! My area is loaded with sky and ground predators day and night. I can only free range under supervision, otherwise they stay in the run.

Predators are brutal! My area is loaded with sky and ground predators day and night. I can only free range under supervision, otherwise they stay in the run.
Yes they are! Many people don't know that a lot of 'nocturnal' predators are actually out in the day too! I've seen a raccoon near the run around 10am, coyotes multiple times in the afternoon, a neighbor had a bobcat come into their uncovered duck run in the middle of the day! Of course the hawks and eagles too! I'm glad we don't have any weasel or mink species in our area! The only weasel that is around certain parts of California is the large long tailed weasel!

Yes they are! Many people don't know that a lot of 'nocturnal' predators are actually out in the day too! I've seen a raccoon near the run around 10am, coyotes multiple times in the afternoon, a neighbor had a bobcat come into their uncovered duck run in the middle of the day! Of course the hawks and eagles too! I'm glad we don't have any weasel or mink species in our area! The only weasel that is around certain parts of California is the large long tailed weasel!
Bobcats are quite diurnal, I too have seen them waltz right by the run during the day! I keep telling myself I need to install a trail cam up by the coop, I am sure all sorts of scary things are lurking at night!

Back
Top Bottom