California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop

[​IMG]

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Okay, now I'm looking forward to you getting some of my SPPR. I WANT my birds to go and live with you!

3. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] haha our dog and a silkie - they are both like what??

4. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    That is the best compliment I have had in a long time [​IMG]

5. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Love this! Our boys are so good with the birds...When they were brooding, Cyrus (the dog in my avatar) really wanted to be good but was very tempted by the noisy, rapidly moving strangers in his house. Now he is totally deferential to them. When it is multi species treat time he lets the girls have fuist go.

6. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Aw I love these pictures!! I feel so lucky my sweetheart loves the chickens, too. Sometimes he'll go get his favorite out of the coop when he gets home from work and bring her into the house. She sits on his lap while he relaxes at the computer. [​IMG]
    Oooh I want some of these! I love the paints and I just recently was thinking I would like some show girls. Are you selling eggs right now?

I'm also going to be getting some bantam BLRW (which I have some leads on, thanks Chickee!) and am wanting some bantam Favorolles. Anyone know a good place to get them? I am thinking eggs.
    What is it?! I'm so bad waiting for surprises. You have to tell us!!

I think I need to treat my chickens, I've been hearing a few sneezes. I have oxine, but not sure how I would treat 40+? I do have a sprayer (like a roundup one) that I bought to use with Oxine for spraying the brooder and that becomes a pretty fine mist, should I just spray them with that or get some actual medicine?

Cute tidbit - for some reason our weirdo Salmon Favorolle roo Balthazar seems to really love our Polish roo, Iorek. He follows him around and they're buddies. Today Balthazar was preening Iorek's mohawk and Iorek, in turn, was preening Balthazar's beard. So cute!! I wish I would have named them Legolas and Gimli.

Since we got rid of our three unfriendly bantams the remaining three have been so cute! They follow me around and will run up to me when they see me come outside. I love them so much! What sweet babies. The other chickens aren't as nice to them, so I am thinking we'll build them their own coop with a run. That's why I want to get the other bantam breeds I'm interested in now, so we know how big to make it. So if anyone has bantam BLRW and Favorolle eggs let me know!

7. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I am, their laying has picked back up after a round of broodies. Paint does not breed true, it took me forever (and many hatches) before I got my first, but right now mine have been hatching out about 80%+ paints. Also, you generally breed SG to silkie, so you will get both in the same clutch. I was getting primarily SG, but one of my SG is currently raising chicks, so my numbers seemed to have dropped to around 20% SG. Numbers of course are give or take, just my impression.

I'll post a picture of my newest little paint SG.

8. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nooo don't post picture. Will have to have another silkie to add to my collection. I have a blue and a partridge pullet now. They are cool crayolas- you need all the colors! haha

9. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    That would be great! I love a surprise. I'll pm you later. I wanted to add in to my question above that I have noticed our chicks shaking their heads, like they have water in their ears. Our silkie babies were doing it a lot, which I heard can be normal of silkies, but they're in with the ones we hatched now and I just saw one of the little chipmunks do it. Could have been a fluke, but if not what can I use to help them? I don't think they have mites, I'm wondering if everyone has upper respiratory stuff going on.

10. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by