Crowing
10 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
For your enjoyment...
Button quail!
0.jpg

They like the moist sand the best.
I love the end where one stick both it's feet up.
So cute!!! I love watching birds dust bathing!

PetRock

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
One hatched early! She is all fluffy & happy with her 2 mamas. I think she is blue although it's hard to tell at night.

Yeah! It is cute to see tandem mothering! I have had several pairs raise their chicks together. It especially works well for the chicks when one of them is ready to cut the chicks loose after 3-4 weeks.

Honora

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Cavan, Ireland
Yeah! It is cute to see tandem mothering! I have had several pairs raise their chicks together. It especially works well for the chicks when one of them is ready to cut the chicks loose after 3-4 weeks.

The mamas are very calm chickens and they seem to be getting along fine with each other. Hopefully some more chicks will hatch out for them to share.

My 8 year old thought they were cute, he said, "Aw, they are like a gay family with 2 mommies," lol.

PetRock

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
There is also a place in manteca (by Stockton border) . They're a little more than the rabbit barn @ $5/chicken. No minimum required. They do ducks too.
The rabbit barn is $4-4.50 depending on packaging. They also do quail for $0.80 each. I don't think there's a minimum ,but you have to make an appt.
I'm happy with how this batch turned out. I gave cereal grains in milk, and there's more flesh this go around.
chiqita found a place in Oakland . I don't think there's a minimum there
Chris, Here is the post that I was thinking about. You could pm chrissyr for the information. I think that it would be a good idea to find somewhere loser to Lodi to have your extra cockerels (& Neal's) processed. It might be weeks or even months before we have another processing day at the farm. We may end up taking some of our extra cockerels to the auction along with a group of barnyard mix pullets & hens.

caychris

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Antioch Ca
Chris, Here is the post that I was thinking about. You could pm chrissyr for the information. I think that it would be a good idea to find somewhere loser to Lodi to have your extra cockerels (& Neal's) processed. It might be weeks or even months before we have another processing day at the farm. We may end up taking some of our extra cockerels to the auction along with a group of barnyard mix pullets & hens.
Thanks

Ill look into it.

chiqita

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
San Jose, Ca
The mamas are very calm chickens and they seem to be getting along fine with each other. Hopefully some more chicks will hatch out for them to share.

My 8 year old thought they were cute, he said, "Aw, they are like a gay family with 2 mommies," lol.
that.. is too cute for words!

guppy guy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 5, 2014
update on chicks, mom is doing a great job, i saw yesterday 4 of the chicks sitting on her back, they are able to get into the coop on there own and i leave the door open for them, they are just getting out of the weird fethering stadge

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
update on chicks, mom is doing a great job, i saw yesterday 4 of the chicks sitting on her back, they are able to get into the coop on there own and i leave the door open for them, they are just getting out of the weird fethering stadge
That is great news!

Lynn Manes

Songster
5 Years
Mar 18, 2015
California
That's great. Bet that is a cute sight to watch, too:)

Top Bottom