California - Northern

I have been feeding it for about 6 months to increase the quality of feathers, I also ferment my feed. Usually add about 3 cups ground to my 5 gallon feed bucket, I like protein around 18% for maintenance. I am bumping it up to 20% for molting. This is based on the research I have done for feeding feathered feet chickens (Cochin & brahma) most feed around 18% protein. It is fish meal and soy meal based for the protein and I know some worry about egg flavor, I personally can't notice any difference.

My flock is still young not 2 yet, learning from those with many years experience and putting it into practice. My first year was just the basic leave out dry feed and water. This year I have been researching ways to make it better for me and my flock.

If you keep the chickens past two years old, the feed formula you are using now may be too much for them.

Purina is working on a chicken feed for Senior chickens because of this. For production, chickens are not kept much past two years old. Back yard chickens are often pets so are kept much longer.

Good job on the research!

Does anyone here have seramas?

Just one baby one :D

My daughters buff brahma bantams arrived safely

YAYness! They're tiny beauties!

If you keep the chickens past two years old, the feed formula you are using now may be too much for them.

Purina is working on a chicken feed for Senior chickens because of this. For production, chickens are not kept much past two years old. Back yard chickens are often pets so are kept much longer.

Good job on the research!

What is the difference between this and feeding flock raiser (20%). My friends with mixed flocks have been feeding it for years.

What is the difference between this and feeding flock raiser (20%). My friends with mixed flocks have been feeding it for years.
When the hens are not producing as many eggs when older, there is too much of everything in the feed.

Flockraiser is likely a better choice but layeena is too much for them and will cause health problems. That is why Pureena is working on a feed for older chickens. Look for it in your feed store in the future.

Check to see, but your friend may be culling his chickens at two years old or so. A lot of people do not want to over winter with hens that are not producing so they will get down to a handful of chickens then too.

Aww so cute!

Are you looking for a fried for the little chick?
Thank you! It was one of @TJChickens eggs! I'm hatching out some more of hers for the Halloween hatch along. I'm down to two that developed when I candled a day ago. One was definitely swimming around & one was not moving but was all veining like the other so I left it.

Ok, I am looking for a few chicks or birds or even hatching eggs
I get my hatching eggs shipped from @TJChickens

Back
Top Bottom