California - Northern

If it's a roos
Hi! I am in Santa Clara so very close by. :) Hatching eggs is so much fun! I have ordered eggs in the mail before and I have also hatched mixed breed eggs that I got from @h2oratt
 . I am hoping to keep one of my cockerels this year and hatch my own chicks for the first time this Fall.  Fingers crossed that he will be a quiet boy and not crow when he is in the garage. 
If it's a rooster it's going to crow. When the sun comes up, or he hears anyone arrive or walk by and to announce that he is there and for the fun of it. All day long and even in the middle of the night.
I have never heard of a rooster that doesn't crow unless there are other roosters above him in the pecking order, but even then he'll get a crow in here and there, and might even enter crowing competition if he feels like moving up in the world.
So, please don't hope he won't crow. You will be disappointed.

If it's a roos
If it's a rooster it's going to crow. When the sun comes up, or he hears anyone arrive or walk by and to announce that he is there and for the fun of it. All day long and even in the middle of the night.
I have never heard of a rooster that doesn't crow unless there are other roosters above him in the pecking order, but even then he'll get a crow in here and there, and might even enter crowing competition if he feels like moving up in the world.
So, please don't hope he won't crow. You will be disappointed.

Ah no, the crowing isn't a problem unless it's at sunrise. In the past when I have had cockerels that got to crowing age, I put them to bed in the garage and kept them in the dark until 7 A.M. or so. I had two that would not crow in the dark, and one that did anyway, so I am hoping that the boy I have now will not crow at dawn if he is in the dark garage. My neighbor is not too fond of being woken up before 6 A.M.

I won't be keeping him forever in any case, just hopefully long enough for him to father some chicks.

Ah no, the crowing isn't a problem unless it's at sunrise. In the past when I have had cockerels that got to crowing age, I put them to bed in the garage and kept them in the dark until 7 A.M. or so.  I had two that would not crow in the dark, and one that did anyway, so I am hoping that the boy I have now will not crow at dawn if he is in the dark garage. My neighbor is not too fond of being woken up before 6 A.M. 

I won't be keeping him forever in any case, just hopefully long enough for him to father some chicks. 

What color is he?

I have been here for awhile, but I was wondering how everyone is surviving this heat wave? I know my girls aren't overly joyful about it, today I brought in my mostly blind girl to cool off a bit and she hung around for quite awhile before telling me she was ready to go back outside. Typically she wants to book it after she gets treats but today not so much.

We were jokingly saying we went from needing the heater to needing the AC almost overnight!! Talk about not giving the poor chooks a chance to acclimate! The only upside was that when my new mamma hen took her chicks outside today, and two of them got "lost" (somehow they missed the cue to go back in the nest with everyone else) they were (besides being a little upset) just fine because it was so warm outside!

We were jokingly saying we went from needing the heater to needing the AC almost overnight!! Talk about not giving the poor chooks a chance to acclimate! The only upside was that when my new mamma hen took her chicks outside today, and two of them got "lost" (somehow they missed the cue to go back in the nest with everyone else) they were (besides being a little upset) just fine because it was so warm outside!

Gaaahhh! I am so glad today is a bit cooler and the forecast looks great! We had three days of 90 something here and yesterday I had to break out the mister for the girls. That helped a lot. In the summer low nineties aren't going to be so bad but now -nobody has had time to acclimate, including us people! I felt like it was 100.
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png

Last edited:
I'm from Redding and when I tell people that they're like, "What? where's that at? Is that Oregon?" Uggghhhhh! Most people think the Oregon border starts at the North County line of Sacramento. =)

Ditto from Humboldt. "You live in Northern California? It must be nice being like 2 hours from SF!"

Like...no.

Back
Top Bottom