California - Northern

What??? That really is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Having snakes around is good because they keep the rodent population down. Of course you don't want a rattlesnake, but they are easy to ID, especially for a larger snake: viper head (triangular) and rattles at the tale. But a gopher snake or garter or king snake is good to have around! Inam always happy to see them and guess what? I can't remember which one but one of them keeps rattlers away...
Baby chick is a good meal for a snake like that. King snake Id probably leave alone. I currently dont have a rodent problem and really only had one when they took up residence in the shed.
If I didnt have baby chicks on the ground I would probably have left them alone.

Chicken food=rodents=snakes. I wish some non-venomous snakes would move into my yard = natural rat population control. I'm smack in the urban burbs and have seen many a rat in my yard since we got the chickens and I don't feed food on the ground and my chickens don't really bill out food and I bring the food in every night so there is nothing for the rats to eat and yet they still get into the run. I wish some snakes would move in and take care of them. I don't mind snakes as long as I know they aren't venomous - but then again, I'm one of those weirdos who has them as pets.

Sticky large rat traps have always worked for us. Put them out after dark and pick them up before letting out the chickens. Usually the first night out the rats get stuck in the sticky trap. We seldom need to leave the traps out more than a couple nights to catch a rat or mouse that we suspect in the yard.

Nah, I liked him but he crowed when it was dark. My neighbor did not like him, haha! I don't even know if I'll be able to keep the cockerel I have; it really all depends on my neighbor's tolerance level. Here is a picture of my jubilee cockerel, he is 2 months old. And my pullet, same age. I am loving the jubilees, they are really pretty and friendly.
They look great!

My daughter had some fun today since more of our new pullets have started laying (Silverudd's Blue, BCM, BCMx that lays a super speckled egg, etc) and did a cute color wheel photo. I love colorful eggs!

My daughter had some fun today since more of our new pullets have started laying (Silverudd's Blue, BCM, BCMx that lays a super speckled egg, etc) and did a cute color wheel photo. I love colorful eggs!
If she likes photo projects, keep an eye out for contests on the home page

Being a Central Coasty (Watsonville) I believe the dividing lines are Santa Cruz to the North and San Luis Obispo to the South. But chicken folk are chicken folk:cd

Fair Oaks, just east of Sacramento. I don't care if you call it Northern or Central it is just good to be home. I grew up in Sunnyvale and have lived in San Jose, Santa Rosa, Davis, Capitola, Lompico, Dublin, etc. (Those are just the California spots) A bit of a nomad I suppose but I have settled down again.

We are on a 1/3 acre lot here now so the ladies have their own space and are happy.

Fair Oaks, just east of Sacramento. I don't care if you call it Northern or Central it is just good to be home. I grew up in Sunnyvale and have lived in San Jose, Santa Rosa, Davis, Capitola, Lompico, Dublin, etc. (Those are just the California spots) A bit of a nomad I suppose but I have settled down again.

We are on a 1/3 acre lot here now so the ladies have their own space and are happy.

Back
Top Bottom