California - Northern

Our Lulu (profile pic) is an easter egger and has puffy feathered cheeks. She's full grown now. I noticed today that one of her cheeks is missing its feathers. I have not seen any of the other chickens pick on her or any squabbles. Do you think the others could have pulled them out or could it be something else?

Our Lulu (profile pic) is an easter egger and has puffy feathered cheeks. She's full grown now. I noticed today that one of her cheeks is missing its feathers. I have not seen any of the other chickens pick on her or any squabbles. Do you think the others could have pulled them out or could it be something else?
How old is she?

It is possible that one of her flock mates thinks that the feathers are tasty.
Make sure that they are eating mostly layer feed and not getting too may treats. It might be a good idea to supplement them with some calf manna.

It is possible that one of her flock mates thinks that the feathers are tasty.
Make sure that they are eating mostly layer feed and not getting too may treats. It might be a good idea to supplement them with some calf manna.

Hmm, they have had more treats than normal lately (melon and some chicken crack). Do you think that would cause them to pick on her? What would calf manna do?

Back
Top Bottom