California - Northern

ISO Silkie Pullets. I’m looking for a pair of Silkie
pullets, I had one before but it turned out to be a rooster so I had to give him away. If anyone knows anyone selling their silkie pullets, please let me know. Im located im Santa Rosa, an hour away from SF. Cheers!
It is hard to tell gender in Silkies! I hope you find some nice ones.

ISO Silkie Pullets. I’m looking for a pair of Silkie
pullets, I had one before but it turned out to be a rooster so I had to give him away. If anyone knows anyone selling their silkie pullets, please let me know. Im located im Santa Rosa, an hour away from SF. Cheers!

Too bad there's a quarantine going on. Amber Waves Silkies in Norco, CA (Riverside County) sells all varieties of DNA sexed Silkie chicks anywhere from $65 to $125 each depending on how many cockerels showed up in the DNA test batch and before quarantine they shipped birds -- now it's appointment pickup only during this quarantine. I live in the county next to Riverside County and that's where I intend to to in person to get a guaranteed sexed pullet chick once quarantine is over -- so I can raise a chick early on as a pet. I went through the heartache of getting Partridge Silkie chicks and had to give one away when it turned out to be a cockerel. I won't do un-sexed chicks again! Because of Newcastles and Covid quaratine these days Amber Waves has temporarily ceased shipments of live birds. If you're willing to wait until Newcastles and Covid get the all-clear Amber Waves may begin shipping live birds again. Doesn't hurt to contact them to find out:
https://www.catalogmachine.com/amber-waves/catalogs/amber-waves-catalog.html

Too bad there's a quarantine going on. Amber Waves Silkies in Norco, CA (Riverside County) sells all varieties of DNA sexed Silkie chicks anywhere from $65 to $125 each depending on how many cockerels showed up in the DNA test batch and before quarantine they shipped birds -- now it's appointment pickup only during this quarantine. I live in the county next to Riverside County and that's where I intend to to in person to get a guaranteed sexed pullet chick once quarantine is over -- so I can raise a chick early on as a pet. I went through the heartache of getting Partridge Silkie chicks and had to give one away when it turned out to be a cockerel. I won't do un-sexed chicks again! Because of Newcastles and Covid quaratine these days Amber Waves has temporarily ceased shipments of live birds. If you're willing to wait until Newcastles and Covid get the all-clear Amber Waves may begin shipping live birds again. Doesn't hurt to contact them to find out:
https://www.catalogmachine.com/amber-waves/catalogs/amber-waves-catalog.html
Appreciate the help, I will try and contact them. Thank you!

I know there are a bunch of us Northern California types here (yeah, I'm talking to you).

Now, the question is where do we draw the line between North and South?
wink.png
tongue.png

This thread is sponsored by our great friends at Concord Feed!

Visit one of their five greater Bay Area locations: https://concordfeed.com/locations/

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!
Thank you so much for asking this question. Re Northern CA, I draw the line below Santa Cruz to below Yosemite National Park.

I will tell you this shelter in place bidness really through a monkey wrench into my chick acquisition. The feed store in San Leandro had sporadic chick days and insane lines. I spent four hours in line to get 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Black Australorps and no Brahmas (they were shorted, and in any case they instituted limits on account of the 50 people in line). 2.5 hours were prior the line prior to opening and the other 1.5 was spent waiting on the mail carrier to arrive. (If you were there too, I was the one with the blue ukulele). Anyways, I learned about Concord Feed because they sponsored this post. But their Dublin location was closed until recently. I am planning now on getting the Brahmas through Concord Feed. And I've called and spoken with them and am only mostly reassured that it will not be a frenzy. Anyone else in the Bay Area having issues getting chicks?

I will tell you this shelter in place bidness really through a monkey wrench into my chick acquisition. The feed store in San Leandro had sporadic chick days and insane lines. I spent four hours in line to get 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Black Australorps and no Brahmas (they were shorted, and in any case they instituted limits on account of the 50 people in line). 2.5 hours were prior the line prior to opening and the other 1.5 was spent waiting on the mail carrier to arrive. (If you were there too, I was the one with the blue ukulele). Anyways, I learned about Concord Feed because they sponsored this post. But their Dublin location was closed until recently. I am planning now on getting the Brahmas through Concord Feed. And I've called and spoken with them and am only mostly reassured that it will not be a frenzy. Anyone else in the Bay Area having issues getting chicks?
The chick season is winding down now so hopefully the lines will be smaller.

Here in Woodland\Davis we have been able to have hens for a long time so I did not see lines at TSC for chicks.

Hello everyone! I have some 4 week old Blue/Black Birchen Marans cockerels and 2 Crested Cream Legbar cockerels. I need to rehome them as I live in Fresno and can't even legally have chickens, let alone roosters. They are handled regularly and the Cream Legbars are super friendly. If someone takes both Cream Legbars I will include a Crested Cream Legbar Pullet for $15. She isn't for sale separately right now. 2 of the Blue/Black Birchen Marans do have some copper coloring. As soon as they are sexable I will also have Chocolate Orpingtons, Swedish Flower hens and possibly a trio of Lamonas. (I went a little wild with hatching eggs, ordering from breeders and a rare egg auction from Greenfire). I am willing to drive up to 1 hour to rehome these birds.
. 20200611_155349.jpg 20200611_155339.jpg 20200611_155140.jpg 20200611_155135.jpg 20200611_154934.jpg 20200611_154926.jpg 20200611_154855.jpg 20200611_154828.jpg

@keepercjr So easy to go wild getting birds, eh? Years ago I just wanted two little pullet Silkies as backyard pets and throughout the years I have now cycled through 19 chickens of various breeds LOL (not all at the same time though)!!! It's amazing that one of the original Silkie pets is still around today):

This is what's left today -- a Silkie, 2 Dominiques, 1 Breda. Hopefully I can get more birds by next Spring
DSCN7083.JPG

@keepercjr So easy to go wild getting birds, eh? Years ago I just wanted two little pullet Silkies as backyard pets and throughout the years I have now cycled through 19 chickens of various breeds LOL (not all at the same time though)!!! It's amazing that one of the original Silkie pets is still around today):

This is what's left today -- a Silkie, 2 Dominiques, 1 Breda. Hopefully I can get more birds by next Spring
View attachment 2190587
Every time I add chickens I have to expand their digs. What started out as a small coop has now become a compound for my 17 hens. No more.

Back
Top Bottom