California - Northern

Omgoodness it's crazy! Suppose to get a foot of rain here 😬
we got 11.49" in Duncans Mills...ON the russian river. it was wild! memories of the old style storms. it was invigorating! no flooding right where we are but lots of trees down. surprisingly we had power whole time and off and on internet. chickens will be very happy to get out of their run! off to get some dry straw for the yard for them ...no rain on immediate forecasts!

Rob, I always felt the Grapevine was the road out of No. Cal.
I like that idea! I’m in Paicines/Panoche and we didn’t get it as badly as you northern-most-northerners but it finally hit us late last night. The wind was the absolute worst. We clocked 64mph gust max last night. It was a good trial run for the chicken coop and run this time because the entire run was soaked and also had some bleed through on the laying boxes and lower walls. We had everything covered with ugly (But effective) tarps and plastic last year. This year I had tarps over the crucial areas I kept my drop cloths I used for shade still up. It can protect from mist but it obviously drips through in the conditions we had last night. I need to do something after everything dries out; winter is coming and my girls need to stay dry. Oh, they were dry this morning but the coop wasn’t cozy.

Hubby also built an arduino temperature/humidity gauge that I can access the data with my phone so I’m monitoring that more closely this year.
How did you ladies weather the storm?

we got 11.49" in Duncans Mills...ON the russian river.
Omg that area is gorgeous!!!!! We always drive along the river to the coast To get back home after taking the kids kayaking. That area near Duncan is so picturesque. One of tho
se postcard, THIS is why we live in CA moments. Too bad we don’t live up there though.

Pics before the storm came in..

1BDA274F-66BE-41AC-9453-79B9F716E0A7.jpeg

CDE29B8B-9ABE-44FB-89DE-5AB77818F672.jpeg

Everything is muddy. I had to move everything to the middle Last night and put their food near the coop this morning to keep them out of the mud as much as I could. Dirt / dust got into everything with the high winds then the rain turned it all into mud. I had their doors and windows covered last night with drop cloths (protected side, never any wind) It’s a serious mess, don’t judge me 🤣🤣
image.jpg

Hey y’all, I hope y’all are doing okay! I just read about the crazy weather y’all had and are having and I wanted to check in. Stay safe!
We were fine in our part of Woodland. Some other parts of the city and Yolo county had some local flooding though. Our neighborhood has sewer drains that work well.

I like that idea! I’m in Paicines/Panoche and we didn’t get it as badly as you northern-most-northerners but it finally hit us late last night. The wind was the absolute worst. We clocked 64mph gust max last night. It was a good trial run for the chicken coop and run this time because the entire run was soaked and also had some bleed through on the laying boxes and lower walls. We had everything covered with ugly (But effective) tarps and plastic last year. This year I had tarps over the crucial areas I kept my drop cloths I used for shade still up. It can protect from mist but it obviously drips through in the conditions we had last night. I need to do something after everything dries out; winter is coming and my girls need to stay dry. Oh, they were dry this morning but the coop wasn’t cozy.

Hubby also built an arduino temperature/humidity gauge that I can access the data with my phone so I’m monitoring that more closely this year.
How did you ladies weather the storm?
The important thing for chickens is to have a place to dry out at night. They can get get wet all day here and love it!

Omg that area is gorgeous!!!!! We always drive along the river to the coast To get back home after taking the kids kayaking. That area near Duncan is so picturesque. One of tho
se postcard, THIS is why we live in CA moments. Too bad we don’t live up there though.

Pics before the storm came in..

View attachment 2877627

View attachment 2877628

Everything is muddy. I had to move everything to the middle Last night and put their food near the coop this morning to keep them out of the mud as much as I could. Dirt / dust got into everything with the high winds then the rain turned it all into mud. I had their doors and windows covered last night with drop cloths (protected side, never any wind) It’s a serious mess, don’t judge me 🤣🤣
View attachment 2877633
You have a nice place!

The important thing for chickens is to have a place to dry out at night. They can get get wet all day here and love it!
Thank you! I’ll make sure it’s dried out as soon as possible. Their roosting area is dry and most of the bedding, just slight seeping on lower quarter of wall bad outside of boxes. I wish I had one of those grand lovely coops. But then I’d have more chickens lol

That explains why even though I give them a nice dust box and area they practically jump head first Into the mud or wet sand when I spill water. 🤣

Thank you! I’ll make sure it’s dried out as soon as possible. Their roosting area is dry and most of the bedding, just slight seeping on lower quarter of wall bad outside of boxes. I wish I had one of those grand lovely coops. But then I’d have more chickens lol

That explains why even though I give them a nice dust box and area they practically jump head first Into the mud or wet sand when I spill water. 🤣
they will be fine! They are looking for worms and bugs in the wet ground LOL

Back
Top Bottom