California - Northern

Laura says: [COLOR=333333]Amazingly, this is all it took to solve my crowing problem. To make cut breathable fabric a couplw inches wide and long enough too fit the rooster with at least a finger's width between the collar and neck. Hot glue or sew the velcro in two strips with a 1/8 " gap between.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]For chicken friends making these, be sure not to make the collar too wide. You don't want a neck brace. Also, it works best if the velcro runs the whole length of the collar ( in narrow strips) so when it is on the rooster the velcro keeps the collar from stretching when he expands his throat to crow. It's also important to make the velcro strips narrow and leave a gap between each strip so the rooster's neck can bend and move easily.[/COLOR]

I can give you her full name if you'd like to thank her.
So does this stay on 24/7 or overnight. I guess I could just check his neck feathers when on health checks. Right now this TJ leghorn only crows to be let out in the morning and is quiet all day... Maybe he thinks he is a dog? If I can make this work my dh will love it. I was making a bachelor pad in his garage!

OK, if anyone is interested in one of my Black Copper Marans cockerels (or two or three or all five) that I hatched from very dark eggs from a dark egg project I'm working on and some nice dark eggs from Deb, speak up now before we process them!!!

They are driving my layers crazy, chasing them and biting them! I found a little Blue Copper Marans pullet that's a couple of months old that was broody hatched so hadn't been moved in the Marans pen, with her neck torn open! When I dressed it (could have used about a dozen stitches) and put her back in the coop she was chased out by one of the boys who ripped off her dressing, tried to mount the little thing and then chased her through the pasture!!!!

Pure chaos tonight with hens running this way, cockerels chasing them that way! All the chickens in the Polish and Marans pens were lined up along the fence in awe of the fiasco! If it wasn't so crazy I would have taken the time to laugh at their stunned observation!

I'm out there, 6 days post op, chasing everyone, cockerels flying over my head, running between my legs....catching what I could and stuffing them into the grow out pen!!!!

I really, really hate to see these boys go to waste, they are beautiful, tons of leg feathering, big boys but there's just too many and the hens are going on strike! I can hear them having a meeting tonight discussing their terms!!!

If you or anyone you know that needs a nice cockerel to show and improve their egg color, please PM me.

Another pain pill for me tonight!!!! Dang young cocks! BTW they are very friendly and have never shown aggression to me, my husband or the grand kids. They're just running in a pack right now. Here's a couple of examples of them.

Pam, I think I am going to need a rooster. Louie 4th ( no roman numerals on my normal keybord!) is very shy and I'm betting he won't be active for a lot longer. Are you going to the paso Robles show? I'm betting not, hrm.. what to do what to do...
( I now have two roosters who dont know they are boys, what are the odds??)

The quail STINK to high heaven. What did I get myself into!?! But these serama babies! Oh my I am having so much fun. Now to get power to the coops so I can keep them above 20 degrees med winter!
What do you have them on? quails are particularly bad at wasting food and if they also get it wet it can smell. They should not be at the poop a holic stage for more weeks yet. If you only have 3 seremas they can live inside on cold nights! just get them some diapers. I am worried the porch is not secure for them anymore so ours come inside at night and sleep on a cleanable spot on the wood pile. But my mother says I can't smell chicken anymore. However, Nutmeg was raised in an apartment and gets Pi$$y with me when she cant come in, she thinks she is a house chicken and wants to lay her eggs IN my egg gathering basket.

Ok, weirdest thing ever!

I had posted an add on Craigslist to sell about 11 barnyard mix chicks, & I went to meet the family buying them tonight.

I recognized them...

They're my boyfriends family I've met multiple times!!!

Crazy coincidence, right?!?!
OMG ODD! but good! When I used to do gaming, I ended up gaming with the son ( who became daughter) of one of my old reps. THAT was weird, freaked him right out I know his parents, lmao.

So does this stay on 24/7 or overnight. I guess I could just check his neck feathers when on health checks. Right now this TJ leghorn only crows to be let out in the morning and is quiet all day... Maybe he thinks he is a dog?
If I can make this work my dh will love it. I was making a bachelor pad in his garage!

She leaves it on all day, that is why you want breathable fabric. You could take it on and off, but I'M guessing they will just get used to it. She has a video of him crowing and it is JUST the same, but he squeeks instead of crows,

I am worried it won't work well on showgirls however, it might irritate the skin.

She leaves it on all day, that is why you want breathable fabric. You could  take it on and off, but I'M guessing they will just get used to it.  She has a video of him crowing and it is JUST the same, but he squeeks instead of crows, 

I am worried it won't work well on showgirls however, it might irritate the skin.
Maybe try putting it on inside out? If the Velcro is just used as a stiffener it might work on the outside just as well.

Ok, weirdest thing ever!

I had posted an add on Craigslist to sell about 11 barnyard mix chicks, & I went to meet the family buying them tonight.

I recognized them...

They're my boyfriends family I've met multiple times!!!

Crazy coincidence, right?!?!

How funny. What price do you ask for barnyard mix chicks? I will probably have a bunch at some time and I'm curious both how you word your add and what you charge. Also do you just do a straight run?

OK, if anyone is interested in one of my Black Copper Marans cockerels (or two or three or all five) that I hatched from very dark eggs from a dark egg project I'm working on and some nice dark eggs from Deb, speak up now before we process them!!!

They are driving my layers crazy, chasing them and biting them! I found a little Blue Copper Marans pullet that's a couple of months old that was broody hatched so hadn't been moved in the Marans pen, with her neck torn open! When I dressed it (could have used about a dozen stitches) and put her back in the coop she was chased out by one of the boys who ripped off her dressing, tried to mount the little thing and then chased her through the pasture!!!!

Pure chaos tonight with hens running this way, cockerels chasing them that way! All the chickens in the Polish and Marans pens were lined up along the fence in awe of the fiasco! If it wasn't so crazy I would have taken the time to laugh at their stunned observation!

I'm out there, 6 days post op, chasing everyone, cockerels flying over my head, running between my legs....catching what I could and stuffing them into the grow out pen!!!!

I really, really hate to see these boys go to waste, they are beautiful, tons of leg feathering, big boys but there's just too many and the hens are going on strike! I can hear them having a meeting tonight discussing their terms!!!

If you or anyone you know that needs a nice cockerel to show and improve their egg color, please PM me.

Another pain pill for me tonight!!!! Dang young cocks! BTW they are very friendly and have never shown aggression to me, my husband or the grand kids. They're just running in a pack right now. Here's a couple of examples of them.

I hear marans are good eating.
big_smile.png

The Mottled Java does look a lot like the Pita Pintas. Pita Pintas have plenty of personality though. And they lay a lot of Jumbo eggs.

They are supposed to be tasty too. I have so many chicken dinners getting bigger each day.

love.gif
That is a beautiful little thing!
Hoping these javas have personality too. I was drawn to them because they are dual purpose and described as being calm, sweet and good foragers. I am going to get over my reluctance to process and keep boys for the table.
roll.png
I feel like if I can process someone else's bird first I should be able to do my own. I just don't want to practice on someone I hatched from an egg.

Last edited:
She leaves it on all day, that is why you want breathable fabric. You could  take it on and off, but I'M guessing they will just get used to it.  She has a video of him crowing and it is JUST the same, but he squeeks instead of crows, 

I use pine shaving in all browsers and grow out pens. The baby ( one died) is fine - it's the stinky layers in a brooder in the garage that wafts up the stairway into the living room! Blech! Lol

I use pine shaving in all browsers and grow out pens. The baby ( one died) is fine - it's the stinky layers in a brooder in the garage that wafts up the stairway into the living room! Blech! Lol

That quail is going to think its a serema! Sorry you lost one.

can you get them on sand or wire? Smells a LOT less.

Quote: I'm not, but my Dr is in Sacramento and I'll be going down next week. Could you meet me in Sac? I have one REALLY nice boy that would kill me to send to freezer camp (plus my husband says he doesn't think he can process this weekend
sad.png
) and I'd love to see grow up and see what he passes on. There's actually only one that doesn't impress me so it just kills me to not see these boys used. But there's one out of the five that aren't in my pen and I keep thinking he's supposed to be in there and I got out and count the three boys I'm considering and realize he's just another great cockerel.

Let me know if this works, anyone else? There's has to be some lurking beginners out there who can't fathom paying $40 for a nice rooster and would love to have such quality to start with! Ha! I sound like a used car salesman!
smack.gif

OK, shameless but here's the eggs they came from....

Last edited:
I'm not, but my Dr is in Sacramento and I'll be going down next week. Could you meet me in Sac? I have one REALLY nice boy that would kill me to send to freezer camp (plus my husband says he doesn't think he can process this weekend
sad.png
) and I'd love to see grow up and see what he passes on. There's actually only one that doesn't impress me so it just kills me to not see these boys used. But there's one out of the five that aren't in my pen and I keep thinking he's supposed to be in there and I got out and count the three boys I'm considering and realize he's just another great cockerel.

Let me know if this works, anyone else? There's has to be some lurking beginners out there who can't fathom paying $40 for a nice rooster and would love to have such quality to start with! Ha! I sound like a used car salesman!
smack.gif

OK, shameless but here's the eggs they came from....

Do you know what day? Sacs still about 4 hrs away so it would have to be a day I don't work, unless I can convince my husband he needs to go to sac for work ( he does it about once a month, so its possible) .

Back
Top Bottom