California - Northern

I hope your chickee pulls through!

Here's last night's sunset and a blumble bee that modeled for me :)

Pretty. I love the vibrant colors.

I took the sample in the morning, the cost was 16.50, I had the results back in 4 hours. The wormer would have cost me more the the test and I don't have to hold the eggs back from sale at the market.
Where did you go? A local vet or something?

wewcz5 good luck with your hatch! I hope the little one pulls through. I completely get the desire to hop in there and help and I hope this is one of those cases where things work out just as you wanted them to.

So my SPW eggs arrived this afternoon. I belted them into the back seat, drove em home and candled for cracks and air sac damage. of 12 eggs 4 had detached air cells but the other 8 seemed fine. I took those 4 out and put in 4 of my own girls' eggs and gave them all to Beakface who is hunkered down and happy on her dozen. I am super excited.

The shipping method was to wrap the eggs in paper napkin so they fit securely in an 18 egg carton. The two outside rows were filled with newspaper. The carton was securely taped closed and there was no shaking or rattling around in it then double boxed in sytrofoam peanuts. They shipped from OK on Tuesday in the early pm mountain time and arrived here this afternoon around 2:00.

The 4 eggs with the detached air cells are set for tomorrow's breakfast.

I have to get a pic of Rue for you. She is a feather legged Icelandic and in spite of the fact that she hates me, she is growing on me. Her comb and wattles are super hot pink her head is golden and her little body is brown with faint penciling. She does everything at top speed...not sure yet if I am keeping her but she is worming her way into my affections for sure. Now if she would start laying I would definitely feel more inclined to let her hang out.

You don't want to even try the ones with the detached air cells? It is worth a shot right? You need eggs that bad you have to ship them from Oklahoma for your breakfast???
gig.gif
Besides I need SPW's!!!! No roosters though
lol.png

On a worm-related note... I've read that DE (diatomaceous earth) in the feed helps prevent worms. Has anyone who adds this to their chicken feed ever had worm problems?
I have read several comments recently from people who gave DE to their chickens of a regular basis and still had the chickens test positive for worms. So maybe, maybe not. I am curious to see if it really works like they say. I want to get two bugs and put them each in separate jars.....one in a jar with DE and one without to see if there is any difference in survival time. I know it isn't very scientific, but still....... it might just answer that nagging question for me if it really might help control bugs, mites, flies, etc.

Last edited:
Th
wewcz5 good luck with your hatch!  I hope the little one pulls through.  I completely get the desire to hop in there and help and I hope this is one of those cases where things work out just as you wanted them to.

So my SPW eggs arrived this afternoon.  I belted them into the back seat, drove em home and candled for cracks and air sac damage.  of 12  eggs 4 had detached air cells but the other 8 seemed fine.  I took those 4  out and put in 4 of my own girls' eggs and gave them all to Beakface who is hunkered down and happy on her dozen.  I am super excited. 

The shipping method was to wrap the eggs in paper napkin so they fit securely in an 18 egg carton.   The two outside rows were filled with newspaper.  The carton was securely taped closed and there was no shaking or rattling around in it then double boxed in sytrofoam peanuts.  They shipped  from OK on Tuesday in the early pm mountain time and arrived here this afternoon around 2:00.

The 4 eggs with the detached air cells are set for tomorrow's breakfast.

I have to get a pic of Rue for you.  She is a feather legged Icelandic and in spite of the fact that she hates me, she is growing on me.  Her comb and wattles are super hot pink her head is golden and her little body is brown with faint penciling. She does everything at top speed...not sure yet if I am keeping her but she is worming her way into my affections for sure.  Now if she would start laying  I would definitely feel more inclined to let her hang out.
Thank you! The chick could not hatch otherwise. The blood was absorbed and so was the yoke. She is running around the incubator chirping :) It worked out in this case. I definitely learned my lesson though!! Lol It was too stressful to ever do again!

On a worm-related note... I've read that DE (diatomaceous earth) in the feed helps prevent worms. Has anyone who adds this to their chicken feed ever had worm problems?

I don't know about worms, but DE is worthless against mites. My friend who has an organic farm refused to a pesticide on her chickens who had terrible mites so she used DE diligently for 3 weeks with no success. She finally gave in and used Poultry Dust. The live mites were gone the next day. She repeated after a 1 and 2 weeks later to kill the mites that hatched from the eggs.

I have chicks hatching. My bator has been off since June but I had to turn it on because the Crele Orp eggs I have been waiting on for 10 months arrived. So, I of course had to fill the bator with my own eggs also. 8/12 of the crele Orp eggs have hatched so far. I am thrilled with those results considering the eggs were shipped.

I am a little embarrassed to say that I am keeping all the chicks, except the 12 Basque I set for a friend who lost her chickens to a predator.

I need some advice on my humidity pump. I have the the Brinsea Octagon® 20 Advance EX. I've hatched about 5 hatches since I got it last February. It's been turned off for the last few months but wanted to do a couple more hatches to get some spring pullets. So when I brought the incubator back out, I re-cleaned it and replaced the plastic tubes in the humidity pump. I removed them all and measured each one to new tubing that came with the incubator. It seem to be air locking???? I hear the pump running nonstop and the humidity is low because it's not pumping any water into the incubator. I push the air bubbles through the hose into incubator, the humidity rises and works for maybe a day or two and then the same thing happens.

Today they're supposed go into lockdown but I'm really worried that I won't be able to keep the humidity up. Anyone have this type of problem with their humidity pump and can recommend a fix so I don't have to watch it every minute for the next 3-4 days? Dang, I spent all that money so I didn't have to babysit the thing!
idunno.gif

I have chicks hatching.     My bator has been off since June but I had to turn it on because the Crele Orp eggs I have been waiting  on for 10 months arrived.  So,  I of course had to fill the bator with my own eggs also.  8/12 of the crele Orp eggs have hatched so far.  I am thrilled with those results considering the eggs were shipped.  

I am a little embarrassed  to say that I am keeping all the chicks, except the 12 Basque I set for a friend who lost her chickens to a predator.   
It sounds like "Just Rewards" after waiting for 10 months.

Back
Top Bottom