California - Northern

Quote:
I've gone a little crazy...going to sell this batch of chicks though...maybe get another incubator? Ha ha ha. 15 Serama chicks eat a quart size thing of food and water each day..they are very hungry chicks! My eggs are supposed to hatch next weekend.

Hey everyone . . I hatched some chicks for an order and have 2 extra W/BW chicks available, plus two Wyandotte chicks that I hatched for Zoichick as a test hatch. The two Wyandotte chicks were supposed to be SLWs, but it looks like her BLRW rooster got to her hens so the chicks are BLRW x SLW. They are colored like the BLRWs and should be beautiful birds. PM me if interested :) The 2 BLRW x SLW chicks~ Chick #1 far left and chick # 2 second from the right.
Thanks for the plug Chickee. And Thank You for helping out with the first test hatch.They are beautiful babies. It looks like my young SLW cockerel at almost a year was still working up his skill level at covering his hens. :( The Splash BLR I got from you was sneaking in when they were free ranging together as his grandmother was not particularly impressed with him yet. He WAS sneaky too as I never ever saw him that close to any of the SLW pullets. He is now in with his Black laced grand dam and the Lavender AM's happy as can be. The Silvers are on their own now.No chance of contamination. Below is the father of those that may be pure Silver Laced Wyandottes. I'm hoping for a few since this boy was taken by a predator. There are a few salvaged eggs under a broody and a few in the incubator. :fl We do have a new cockerel since the accident. He is beginning to mate fairly well already. He's not nearly as awkward as the first boy.
Hi to everyone and sorry I've been gone a long while raising puppies and doing Dog Breed work for my clubs. Hopefully we will raise a few chicks this summer and thin out a few of the AM's too. The pullets are laying well. :frow :frow

I served rabbit once at a rabbit club potluck. It was a local rabbit show club, mostly all adults. One woman was vehement in her stance of not eating rabbit. I had taken the rabbits and ground them, then made lasagna.

She asked if she could take the leftover lasagna home. I said sure and sent it with her.

I never told any of them the meat in the dish was rabbit..................I'm bad
cool.png

My parents raised rabbits for meat when I was little, our favorite was "rabbit-lada's" -enchilada's made with rabbit meat. They raise them in their backyard. They are pretty clean, and they don't take a lot of space to raise. My dad processes them, so from a price standpoint they are really cheap. I looked on line and rabbit is expensive!! I would probably raise them, but my husband is super allergic to their fur.
Rabbit Whole Domestic Roasters / 5 to 7 Lbs.
price: $59.99
Today Sale Price: $49.99

I stopped by Concord Feed & Fuel in PH since I was out that way - SO MANY FUZZYBUTTS. I can't wait to pick up chicks soon!

A question though: I wanted to make a waterer using the screw-end nipple waterers. Checking on Amazon, there is a quite a variety of listed items... can I just pick any of them and be good to go? Is there anything I should be looking it for or to avoid?

Tomorrow is Chicken Coop Build Day. The garage is filled with wood, hardware cloth, and more pounds of screws I have ever seen. I'm very excited! Here's to hoping the weatherman is right and we are getting a break in the rain tomorrow...

Hello all, does anyone want a free Leghorn Rooster? I'm in East San Jose CA. I was asking $15, but realistically I don't think I'm going to get any offers for a Leghorn. He's about 4 or 5 months old.

Also by the way, I lost my only Easter Egger today. As I wen to feed and water them this morning I noticed she was acting very sluggish and her eyes were like death. She was alive but barely. She was sitting there as if she were broody, but in a very awkward place and so I wen to move her and a hole as big as a toilet paper roll opening was right at her hind end. I could see her insides and at that point she had lost too much blood to save. I laid her to rest finally at about 10 AM in a comfortable place. I can't imagine what got in their run last night. The only thing I can think that'd fit would be wither a snake or small rodent. Anyways in peace she is now. Just shocked. She was my favorite hen.

Also by the way, I lost my only Easter Egger today. As I wen to feed and water them this morning I noticed she was acting very sluggish and her eyes were like death. She was alive but barely. She was sitting there as if she were broody, but in a very awkward place and so I wen to move her and a hole as big as a toilet paper roll opening was right at her hind end. I could see her insides and at that point she had lost too much blood to save. I laid her to rest finally at about 10 AM in a comfortable place. I can't imagine what got in their run last night. The only thing I can think that'd fit would be wither a snake or small rodent. Anyways in peace she is now. Just shocked. She was my favorite hen.
Oh, so sorry.
hugs.gif

Seems like Murphy's Law of chicken keeping: the predators/illness always take your favorite first.

Back
Top Bottom