California - Northern

school is canceled! No work for me!!! so why in the world am I up??? No call from the po about my hatching eggs that were supposed to be there yesterday.

But on a bright note I finally bought the pressure cooker I put in my cart a year ago and it arrived! Thawed a Marans for the occasion! He's gonna be dinner tonight/

Also if I get a weekend morning without rain I am going to process a couple of boys all on my own. Not going

The bantam eggs under my sizzle are due to hatch between Saturday and Sunday. I marked the aircell of the egg that has the weird sideways one. Should I just wait and see. I don't want to help it out of the shell but didn't know if there were steps I could take to improve the odds it will pip correctly.

school is canceled! No work for me!!! so why in the world am I up??? No call from the po about my hatching eggs that were supposed to be there yesterday.

But on a bright note I finally bought the pressure cooker I put in my cart a year ago and it arrived! Thawed a Marans for the occasion! He's gonna be dinner tonight/

Also if I get a weekend morning without rain I am going to process a couple of boys all on my own. Not going

The bantam eggs under my sizzle are due to hatch between Saturday and Sunday. I marked the aircell of the egg that has the weird sideways one. Should I just wait and see. I don't want to help it out of the shell but didn't know if there were steps I could take to improve the odds it will pip correctly.
I might not be too active here today...

I will be processing some cockerels this weekend too.

Ok with all the rain going on I have some sneezing birds. I have no room to separate the flock (Christmas and other projects have taken over the garage) I got some liquid Corid the other day just to be safe.

I am really trying to put together a chicken first aid kit. I know I need some other things and Im not sure "how" (water, injection, oral, etc) to treat them for some things.

They are going through molt right now (they are less than a year and they started late) so not laying so I need some suggestions

Also Ive heard that its good to get them extra protein during molt and Ive heard that some people feed beef and or wet cat/dog feed to them (anyone have any recommendations)

With all the rain lately I think they are beginning to think they are ducks.

Im hoping for some dry time on Saturday to try and add some more sand to the run and clean things out. Things have begun to really stink as things cant dry out very well right now.

Ok with all the rain going on I have some sneezing birds. I have no room to separate the flock (Christmas and other projects have taken over the garage) I got some liquid Corid the other day just to be safe.

I am really trying to put together a chicken first aid kit. I know I need some other things and Im not sure "how" (water, injection, oral, etc) to treat them for some things.

They are going through molt right now (they are less than a year and they started late) so not laying so I need some suggestions

Also Ive heard that its good to get them extra protein during molt and Ive heard that some people feed beef and or wet cat/dog feed to them (anyone have any recommendations)

With all the rain lately I think they are beginning to think they are ducks.

Im hoping for some dry time on Saturday to try and add some more sand to the run and clean things out. Things have begun to really stink as things cant dry out very well right now.
Give them a grower type feed during molt.

Make sure there is no amonia building up due to lack of ventilation--They need ventilation more than protection from the cold. Also, DE and Sweet PDZ can make them sneeze. Watch out for moldy spots too.

Sweet PDZ?

There were a couple of moldy spots on the ground where spilled feed was that I cleaned up.

The coop seems well ventilated but they only spend over night in it. anyway. I have added more shavings yesterday and plan to open the clean out doors daily to help vent as well.

They are getting flock raiser feed now. Though 2 of them are close to POL

Sweet PDZ?

There were a couple of moldy spots on the ground where spilled feed was that I cleaned up.

The coop seems well ventilated but they only spend over night in it. anyway. I have added more shavings yesterday and plan to open the clean out doors daily to help vent as well.

Watch for nasal discharge and bubbles in the eyes.

There is also an off colored manure too. Just sneezing is common.

Sweet PDZ?

Concord Feed doesn't carry Sweet PDZ. I asked for it last Saturday at their semi annual sale. They do have Stall Dry and I bought some of that to try under the pine shavings in the coop. Everything is so wet and muddy around here. Monet and I spent hours yesterday making sure everything was clean and dry in preparation for today's deluge. Our backyard lake is growing by the minute but thankfully, we haven't had very much wind, yet!

Make sure there is no amonia building up due to lack of ventilation--They need ventilation more than protection from the cold. Also, DE and Sweet PDZ can make them sneeze. Watch out for moldy spots too.
I've never used DE or Sweet PDZ. I do use PLT ( http://www.joneshamiltonag.com/product/plt/ ) on occasion during Winter since one of my coops is built on a concrete floor where moisture wicks in around the perimeter of one side. Too much could certainly irritate the respiratory system. I remove any wet litter sprinkle a bit, and stir it around. It does absorb lots of moisture. I'm going to put in flashing next year to see if I can eliminate moisture there completely. On a day like this it seems almost impossible though. Way too much rain.

Back
Top Bottom