California - Northern

Day old Pita Pinta's?
This is my first post to this thread. I had a single chick hatch Sunday and I have been interested in Pita Pinta's so my Hail Mary is to ask if anyone might have very young, or due very soon, babies. I have another hatch due next Tuesday and I hope the outcome is better but who knows. Here she is watching a video.
I have 2 batches in my incubator right now. 1 is due to hatch in 11 days and the 2nd is due to hatch 4 days later. I have several more eggs to set tomorrow but then it will be a month before I have more eggs. I went to the farm today and found 4 of my Pita Pinta pullets/hens out of their pen. I have no idea how long they were out but they were most likely jumped by the free ranging roosters so no guarantee on pure breds for a few weeks. I really need to build some breeding pens that are more secure or retrain the little people who collect eggs for me.

Is there anything you can do to quiet a noisy hen. One of my dels has taken to being the community announcement system. Seems like she barks from daybreak till about noon almost every day. She has to sing when every egg is laid or even if someone thinks about laying an egg.

Was wondering if a rooster collar would work on a hen (doubt it)

I was out with her for about 30 minutes yesterday holding her and would put my finger on her beak every time she would start up. Worked while I was there but the minute I left the broadcast began again. She comes up to me a talks at me a lot, lets me know about the water or food. Has to come see whatever I'm doing. She is a sweet bird but man is she noisy

The sympathy singer... I have had those before. Never came up with a good method for quieting them, but they did mellow with age. My one production red hen will still occasionally sing along when the hens she likes best are laying, but not nearly as often. Good luck.
I have 2 batches in my incubator right now. 1 is due to hatch in 11 days and the 2nd is due to hatch 4 days later. I have several more eggs to set tomorrow but then it will be a month before I have more eggs. I went to the farm today and found 4 of my Pita Pinta pullets/hens out of their pen. I have no idea how long they were out but they were most likely jumped by the free ranging roosters so no guarantee on pure breds for a few weeks. I really need to build some breeding pens that are more secure or retrain the little people who collect eggs for me.
What sort of free ranging roos do you have? If you took a gamble on the eggs I am imaging some PPs and some birds that would probably make good broilers. Little helpers are great, but they can bite you in the behind every now and again. Not that my freshly laying Australorp pullets recently got shooed into the Orpington run recently.
roll.png
It helped me resist breaking out my incubator, at least. It was getting tempting.

I did call the # on the Urch oder form. They are keeping all the RC RIW they hatch in 2015. They just said sorry, try us again next year.
sad.png
It's pretty much what I expected to hear, but still bummed me out. Have you made the minimum order yet @tommysgirl ?

The sympathy singer... I have had those before. Never came up with a good method for quieting them, but they did mellow with age. My one production red hen will still occasionally sing along when the hens she likes best are laying, but not nearly as often. Good luck.
What sort of free ranging roos do you have? If you took a gamble on the eggs I am imaging some PPs and some birds that would probably make good broilers. Little helpers are great, but they can bite you in the behind every now and again. Not that my freshly laying Australorp pullets recently got shooed into the Orpington run recently.
roll.png
It helped me resist breaking out my incubator, at least. It was getting tempting.

I did call the # on the Urch oder form. They are keeping all the RC RIW they hatch in 2015. They just said sorry, try us again next year.
sad.png
It's pretty much what I expected to hear, but still bummed me out. Have you made the minimum order yet @tommysgirl ?
yep it looks like with TheKeeper's and Caychris' birds we will be there. Very exciting stuff!

Sorry for your disappointment though. At least now you know where you can get them...eventually
hmm.png

Last edited:

Oooo Langshans, pretty. May I pm you with questions? I don't want to muddy the thread with my ignorance.

Anyone in No CA get the news about the CA Foster Farms turkeys (about 4500) that got euthanized for avian flu? Apparently the virus is spreading in our State. If it's not one dam* virus it's another! With wild birds flitting around with the virus (wild ducks/geese/etc) I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for control/eradication. The virus hits so hard that the poultry is dead in a matter of hours before you see any symptoms.

Anyone in No CA get the news about the CA Foster Farms turkeys (about 4500) that got euthanized for avian flu? Apparently the virus is spreading in our State. If it's not one dam* virus it's another! With wild birds flitting around with the virus (wild ducks/geese/etc) I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for control/eradication. The virus hits so hard that the poultry is dead in a matter of hours before you see any symptoms.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/01/avian-flu-detected-in-foster-farms-turkey-flock/#.VMhgoNLF8Yl

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom