California - Northern

OMG - I have NO self-control.
No sooner do I get peepers out of the incubator, I fill it right back up.
Plus extras under another broody, my turken "Pumpkin".

Thanks to Jeff McCormick (Papa's Poultry), I have set 9 ameraucanas (50% will be FRIZZLED - wow), 9 blue / black mottled orps (with a slim chance of a lavender mottled), and 12 white/buff/black columbian orps.

Also, I picked up a couple crele OEGB young hens who had been with a white OEGB roo. One hen kindly laid me an egg today that went into the incubator.

AND - my favorite new addition - a sweet cream ko shamo hen. She was broody with 1 egg (x fawn OEGB) & I stuck that in the 'bator too.
Just look at those eyes. <3
What do you think, @lualshannon ? :)

I have wheaten and blue wheaten Ameraucanas but most are broody, so just a trickle of eggs from one hen right now. If you want to add some chocolate, blue green and olive egg layers to your flock, I have golden cuckoo Marans (auto sexing) golden cuckoo Marans x Ameraucana for olive eggers and Easter Eggers (lay blue green eggs) hatching eggs. All 3 of those breeds are very hardy birds and great layers. The true Ameraucanas not as much. And I live in Grass Valley.
smile.png

I chuckle the statement about true Ameraucanas not so much good layers. We've had our BW Amer for 2 years. She has never gone broody. She layed 5-6 blue eggs a week her first year and once layed 8 days in a row. Her 2nd year we see 4 eggs/week consistently w/ occasionally 5/week. We keep calendars. I don't know if the fact that she is not a broody makes a difference or not but she is almost as good as the old White Leg we used to have and the Amer eggs are actually bigger. EEs are good layers per my friend and gets an assortment of egg colors from blue, mint, to pinkish browns. I never cared for our true Cuckoo Marans because she sneakily pecked at the gentle breeds but our friend had a good OE (Cuckoo Marans/Amer mix). Amers and EEs seem like a hardy breed except we notice ours doesn't do well in heatwaves but revels in the rain! We liked our BW Am so much we got a Blue Am to try a different variety and she is practically a carbon copy of our BW Am except for feather color. Sweetest, kookiest, nurturing breed we've ever had. They don't care for flock politics yet make great sentinels - sounding alarms, squawking or jumping from real or imagined threats like flapping tarps, streaking across the yard like an Olympc runner to chase off cats - ours are alert and watchful and the last to settle down until the coop door finally closes. I like that our Ams are gentle and non-combative toward flockmates and don't mind being held or petted. I love their cooing voices when they carry on conversations with you. Both our Ams came from different breeders from different States.

No one would go to a summer fair, too dang hot.
We have no choice on when the fair is held, only so many weeks when the kids aren't is school.
This year is Aug 17-23rd for us. Sure hope we get a break heat wise. That long a stretch of 100°+ really wears you out, 12 hour days in the barn adds to the fatigue but the day fair closes I start looking forward to next year! Hard to believe I said I would NEVER have chickens for 40 years.

Looks like the late pips are not going to make it. Though one zipped she appears to have died before breaking free. I noticed that the membranes on some of these is especially thick and some of the chicks dont cut all the way through enough for the egg to rip open.

OMG - I have NO self-control. No sooner do I get peepers out of the incubator, I fill it right back up. Plus extras under another broody, my turken "Pumpkin". Thanks to Jeff McCormick (Papa's Poultry), I have set 9 ameraucanas (50% will be FRIZZLED - wow), 9 blue / black mottled orps (with a slim chance of a lavender mottled), and 12 white/buff/black columbian orps. Also, I picked up a couple crele OEGB young hens who had been with a white OEGB roo. One hen kindly laid me an egg today that went into the incubator. AND - my favorite new addition - a sweet cream ko shamo hen. She was broody with 1 egg (x fawn OEGB) & I stuck that in the 'bator too. Just look at those eyes. QUOTE] Ohhh Lisa, the OEGBs are lovely! AND, I am so happy that you have a Ko Shamo! She has beautiful Pearl Eyes! You will have the time of your life with these tiny, majestic birds. She looks like perhaps might be a Wheaten? Did you get a pair? or just her? If you need a cockbird, let me know. Lual

Just a reminder, Karen's party is in 4 more days!! Here is a link for those that are new to this thread or just need the details:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ca-may-3rd-2015-chat-thread/150#post_15188874

Looking forward to seeing some of you :)
Hmm. I know I'm new (well, returning after a while), but maybe we can come! If I can it will be me and the kids. I have no eggs to swap and I'm very, very glad that there will be no chicks for sale, because I would for sure come home with a big box full. :)

Back
Top Bottom