California - Northern

Crazy hatch continues I have one more hybrid egg the pipped today
I was just going to start collecting eggs to candle and eggtopsy and I saw it
scratch that Not 1 but 2

Well, I was about to ask in anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks. Chicks of any breed are fine.

I am also on the hunt for Swedish Flower Hens and possibly Svart Honas. I'm looking for genetic diversity, "bio-security", heartiness, and general friendliness.

We are in Nevada City but will travel for healthy eggs or chicks. We are regularly in the Central Valley and Bay Area to visit family. Thanks!
Oh No!

I did not intend to scare anyone off of Cream Legbars! You just need to watch for it and treat it. Adults can have problems and if so UCD can test for it and treat if necessary.

@chiqita do you have any green egg showgirls that are older than a week? I loovvveee my 2 sg and silkie and I really want some more!!! But i dont want them to have to be in the brooder for long

@The Keeper
Oh my god that partridge silkie with the giant head was the cutest!!!
I do not keep good records of who was in a blue egg << I do have some showgirls and sizzles that are 6-8 weeks almost out of brooder range.

We are putting in tile in the 1/2 the house that has icky carpet original from 1968. I have to move everything from that side, including bedroom, all clothes, office and library. You can tell by how much i have been on I have been avoiding this !

Well, I was about to ask if anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks.

I am also on the hunt for Swedish Flower Hens and possibly Svart Honas. I'm looking for genetic diversity, "bio-security", heartiness, and general friendliness.

We are in Nevada City but will travel for healthy eggs or chicks. We are regularly in the Central Valley and Bay Area to visit family. Thanks!

I have wheaten and blue wheaten Ameraucanas but most are broody, so just a trickle of eggs from one hen right now. If you want to add some chocolate, blue green and olive egg layers to your flock, I have golden cuckoo Marans (auto sexing) golden cuckoo Marans x Ameraucana for olive eggers and Easter Eggers (lay blue green eggs) hatching eggs. All 3 of those breeds are very hardy birds and great layers. The true Ameraucanas not as much. And I live in Grass Valley.
smile.png

Showgirls & silkies (hatching eggs from @chiqita )
Neat coloring even with the pink neck

I'm thinking a blue?

Partridge

Another partridge

This one hatched from a green egg

"Igor"

Blue/gray

Blue/gray

Blue/gray

Light partridge silkie

This one also hatched from a blue/green egg - mystery surprise chick - 4 toes and feathers on the shanks

Ameraucanas & Olive eggers (also courtesy of @chickee )
4 Ams, 1 OE who can't stand up (neurological issues I think)

4 more Ams

OE

OE (neat wing feathering so far)

OE

What great pictures Lisa! Thanks for posting them! So fun to see pictures of the chicks you hatched from my eggs! They are all SO cute! Thank-you!!
big_smile.png

I do not keep good records of who was in a blue egg << I do have some showgirls and sizzles that are 6-8 weeks almost out of brooder range.

We are putting in tile in the 1/2 the house that has icky carpet original from 1968. I have to move everything from that side, including bedroom, all clothes, office and library. You can tell by how much i have been on I have been avoiding this.
Uhg that does sound annoying! we are also getting new floors put in downstairs and remodeling the attic (turning into a loft). I would love to see some picks of the sg and sizzles!! ALSO EXCITING NEWS!! just found out today that Pipa is now Pipin!! his little waddles dropped and his comb bumped up all of a sudden <3 im so glad I was able to get my first showgirl/silkies three from you!

Our fairs not in the summer, they are fall and spring.

The two main ones are in the fall, end September and mid October.

Our closest one is in May, but the county one is in the middle of August. I never go to that one!
Well, I was about to ask if anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks.

I have Swedish Flower hen eggs in the incubator right now....34 of them, but only 1/2 the chicks that hatch will be mine. They are not from my hens though. I also have some CCLs juveniles, but I am up the other way near Chico..

Quote:
She does! She has done this about a dozen times before
Crazy hatch continues I have one more hybrid egg the pipped today
I was just going to start collecting eggs to candle and eggtopsy and I saw it
scratch that Not 1 but 2

Awesome, Chris! Love it when more hatch when you have just about given up hope!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom