California - Northern

Hi all!! Long time no talk!
Thought I'd jump back in with a chick pic and a dog pic... :) How have you all been doing?

Okay, heck, I just stumbled across this picture...May as well include it, too! This was 9 weeks ago.

Thought I'd jump back in with a chick pic and a dog pic... :) How have you all been doing?

Okay, heck, I just stumbled across this picture...May as well include it, too! This was 9 weeks ago.
goodpost.gif

Very nice pictures!

Great pictures! The middle one, is that a treat I see in it's mouth?

-Kathy

Godiva's necropsy came back with an MG diagnosis...I am happy that I know the answer and confused and sad about next steps.

I want to do the responsible thing but am unclear what that means exactly so please tell me.   Thanks!

This unfortunately struck me when I had 3 broodies raising a total of 18 chicks.   I was obviously not planning to keep them all.  Most of the chicks were in the  pens NOT affected though they had certainly been exposed in some way as the morning before Godiva's  symptoms showed up they all ranged together.  Anyway.  Thanks in Advance for telling me clearly my next steps.   There is conflicting information out there and I know I can count on you.

Maybe try this...Research Denagard for treating and eventually eliminating MG over time. It is an " off label" usage in chickens for it here in the US, but is used often in Europe. I have used it as a preventative the few times I added new blood from outside flocks...just in case.

http://www.qcsupply.com/denagard-li...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CMH59rqY6MUCFYqDfgodm20A2Q

My experiences during use...not palatable. It is bitter and must be mixed freash and sweetened in drinking water often. Otherwise birds will refuse to drink. Also, if used too long or often it seems to cause issues with sour crop, vent gleet, and possibly makes them more susceptible to aspergillosis during treatment. Basically it wipes out good bacteria along with the MG and opens the door for yeast and fungus infections to move in. But, short term I had no problems if I made sure to dose with probiotics after each treatment. I used this as a preventative ( to treat new birds and chicks) not to stop active/ symptomatic MG infections. But, I have heard it works wonders on even symptomatic birds.

Best wishes,
Trisha

Last edited:
@tommysgirl

Trish's post got me thinking--Send in another sick one to one of the other labs for a confirmation. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Treatment with something like Denegard is part of a closed flock. There is a protocol for declaring that MG is gone so check into that. It would involve sending birds in for necropsy and them testing clear for a certain amount of time.

Best!

Last edited:
Maybe try this...Research Denagard for treating and eventually eliminating MG over time. It is an " off label" usage in chickens for it here in the US, but is used often in Europe. I have used it as a preventative the few times I added new blood from outside flocks...just in case.

http://www.qcsupply.com/denagard-li...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CMH59rqY6MUCFYqDfgodm20A2Q

My experiences during use...not palatable. It is bitter and must be mixed freash and sweetened in drinking water often. Otherwise birds will refuse to drink. Also, if used too long or often it seems to cause issues with sour crop, vent gleet, and possibly makes them more susceptible to aspergillosis during treatment. Basically it wipes out good bacteria along with the MG and opens the door for yeast and fungus infections to move in. But, short term I had no problems if I made sure to dose with probiotics after each treatment. I used this as a preventative ( to treat new birds and chicks) not to stop active/ symptomatic MG infections. But, I have heard it works wonders on even symptomatic birds.

Best wishes,
Trisha
I was going to suggest trying Denagard if you want to keep a closed flock. I have heard of some breeders who give their birds a 3 day preventative treatment every month. I do have some and have used it with no problems. I mix lots of sugar in with it so the birds will drink it.

@tommysgirl

Trish's post got me thinking--Send in another sick one to one of the other labs for a confirmation. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Treatment with something like Denegard is part of a closed flock. There is a protocol for declaring that MG is gone so check into that. It would involve sending birds in for necropsy and them testing clear for a certain amount of time.

Best!
I agree with Ron. As good as the UC labs are, they sometimes make mistakes. Can blood be drawn for the test?

Godiva's necropsy came back with an MG diagnosis...I am happy that I know the answer and confused and sad about next steps.

I want to do the responsible thing but am unclear what that means exactly so please tell me. Thanks!

This unfortunately struck me when I had 3 broodies raising a total of 18 chicks. I was obviously not planning to keep them all. Most of the chicks were in the pens NOT affected though they had certainly been exposed in some way as the morning before Godiva's symptoms showed up they all ranged together. Anyway. Thanks in Advance for telling me clearly my next steps. There is conflicting information out there and I know I can count on you.
So sorry that you are going through this.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom