California - Northern

Hey all, hello!  I have a friend who lives in Eureka, now THAT's northern California!  He makes fun of me when I say I live in northern California (20miles east of Sacramento) because HE's in the north, lol.  I would have to say that anything south of Sacramento and north of the grapevine is in the central valley.  It's all good!
I live in Bakersfield. Everyone here including meteorologists call it the Central Valley which also includes Fresno but not real sure how much further north than there; but south only to the Grapevine. So technically, we live in the southern tip of the Central Valley. When I think of northern CA, I think of anywhere above Sacramento.So I usually just say I'm in sunny southern California:)

I live in Bakersfield. Everyone here including meteorologists call it the Central Valley which also includes Fresno but not real sure how much further north than there; but south only to the Grapevine. So technically, we live in the southern tip of the Central Valley. When I think of northern CA, I think of anywhere above Sacramento.So I usually just say I'm in sunny southern California:)

You are very welcome here!

What What poultry do you have?

@PetRock , @ronott1 @Kaylish Thank you for the support and kindness. Ron the offer to do a special hatch is beyond sweet. Right now I am not up to any more carnage so all of the birds on site are here to stay for awhile. I do have 5 cockerels to process...they should have been done a month ago but between all of the social engagements and bird problems they have had a repreive.

I had 2 girls sold and was about to list a rooster and a cockerel on CL but I had to back out of both.

I miscounted. I have 20 chicks, 13 hens and 3 roosters and 4 cockerels. So keeping all of these babies means I am doubling my flock size and it looks like we have to build another pen to house the overflow so no hatches for me for awhile. I am going to be dealing with some spoiled broodies all summer who have grown accustomed to raising families whenever they choose. I may be able to come up with another plan but...sigh

Thanks also to @tis_ranch and @capayvalleychick. I am going to look into the Denegard thing. It gives me some hope.

@PetRock , @ronott1 @Kaylish Thank you for the support and kindness. Ron the offer to do a special hatch is beyond sweet. Right now I am not up to any more carnage so all of the birds on site are here to stay for awhile. I do have 5 cockerels to process...they should have been done a month ago but between all of the social engagements and bird problems they have had a repreive.

I had 2 girls sold and was about to list a rooster and a cockerel on CL but I had to back out of both.

I miscounted. I have 20 chicks, 13 hens and 3 roosters and 4 cockerels. So keeping all of these babies means I am doubling my flock size and it looks like we have to build another pen to house the overflow so no hatches for me for awhile. I am going to be dealing with some spoiled broodies all summer who have grown accustomed to raising families whenever they choose. I may be able to come up with another plan but...sigh

Thanks also to @tis_ranch and @capayvalleychick. I am going to look into the Denegard thing. It gives me some hope.
hugs.gif

No need to rush into anything.

Check with dawg53 too.

Here is a link to the company's info sheet on Denagard.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf

Omelette's prolapse is all gone! Now I just have to figure out the best way to reintegrate her... Normally I'd put her in the getting-to-know-you pen for a week or so to get reacquainted, but it currently has 4 four-week-old chicks in it. They're neither big enough to put in with the big girls (or have a big girl added to them) nor feathered enough to not have the heating pad at night, I don't think. Though I did find that someone had unplugged the extension cord that the pad is plugged into and it may have been unplugged for anything up to 4 days. Best guess is that my father-in-law needed an outlet outside--my husband always uses the outlets in the garage and, on the rare times he doesn't, he plugs the outside stuff back in--one's for the fish pond pump, and the other's for the coop. Then again, the quarantine coop, which is where I'm going to move the chicks between their getting fully feathered and their sale is a little more exposed than the getting-to-know-you pen. I would let everyone out and see how they do ranging together, but after the third replanting of the front garden bed (yes, it's fenced but the dog keeps breaking it down) the chickens have been banished to the run until things get a bit more established. Omelette may just have to wait a bit.

Omelette's prolapse is all gone! Now I just have to figure out the best way to reintegrate her... Normally I'd put her in the getting-to-know-you pen for a week or so to get reacquainted, but it currently has 4 four-week-old chicks in it. They're neither big enough to put in with the big girls (or have a big girl added to them) nor feathered enough to not have the heating pad at night, I don't think. Though I did find that someone had unplugged the extension cord that the pad is plugged into and it may have been unplugged for anything up to 4 days. Best guess is that my father-in-law needed an outlet outside--my husband always uses the outlets in the garage and, on the rare times he doesn't, he plugs the outside stuff back in--one's for the fish pond pump, and the other's for the coop. Then again, the quarantine coop, which is where I'm going to move the chicks between their getting fully feathered and their sale is a little more exposed than the getting-to-know-you pen. I would let everyone out and see how they do ranging together, but after the third replanting of the front garden bed (yes, it's fenced but the dog keeps breaking it down) the chickens have been banished to the run until things get a bit more established. Omelette may just have to wait a bit.

Toss her in tonight and see how it goes in the morning. They usually do fine going back into the old flock.

Of course have some blue kote on hand.

Quote:
Thanks, Ron! The Tiki Masala recipe looks good! I think I will try it. The other 1 came up with a .jpg image of a rooster, not a recipe though.
Quote: I tried to get some PP, but the eggs I got from Ron must have been severely bounced around. Nothing developed in any of them.....even the 2 Olive eggers he included.
sad.png
. I have been hearing how great they are for some time here and was anxious to have some. Ron said he would have me pick some more up, but I don't think I will be in the area in the foreseeable future. I am no longer seeing the Dr I was going to in Sac and I don't drive that far on my own. I might just buy some more and have him try shipping again. I really want some!

Quote: Wish I had a plucker...but they are too pricey for me. If I knew more people nearby that process I could see about a joint purchase.....

Godiva's necropsy came back with an MG diagnosis...I am happy that I know the answer and confused and sad about next steps.

I want to do the responsible thing but am unclear what that means exactly so please tell me. Thanks!

This unfortunately struck me when I had 3 broodies raising a total of 18 chicks. I was obviously not planning to keep them all. Most of the chicks were in the pens NOT affected though they had certainly been exposed in some way as the morning before Godiva's symptoms showed up they all ranged together. Anyway. Thanks in Advance for telling me clearly my next steps. There is conflicting information out there and I know I can count on you.
So sorry to hear that, Tommysgirl.......it an be so hard to now what to do in these situations. At least you found out before you had sold the chicks.

Quote:
It is so great to have this group as a resource! What great information!
Hi all!! Long time no talk!
Thought I'd jump back in with a chick pic and a dog pic... :) How have you all been doing?

Okay, heck, I just stumbled across this picture...May as well include it, too! This was 9 weeks ago.

Welcome back! I have missed your pictures!
@tommysgirl

Trish's post got me thinking--Send in another sick one to one of the other labs for a confirmation. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Treatment with something like Denegard is part of a closed flock. There is a protocol for declaring that MG is gone so check into that. It would involve sending birds in for necropsy and them testing clear for a certain amount of time.

Best!

Yeah!!!!! So glad to hear it!

Back
Top Bottom