California - Northern

This is one of my girls. Every time bend over she jumps on my back or shoulder. There are actually 2 Plymouth Rocks that do it, but I can't tell them apart yet.

HI all. Thought I'd jump in here, since I'm a Northern Californian (north of Sacramento). I probably don't have a lot to contribute; I only have a dozen chickens & don't breed or do anything fancy or fun. I just like my birds!
Welcome!

Well, I guess no "frozen" coop, the playhouse was sold. Saw it on craigslist and by the time I could inquire after researching if it would work, it was gone.
sad.png
Bummer!

oh man, dag nabit, if you dont post for very long is stops giving you notifications, so i had to red 62 posts at once

Hi everyone, I'm in Northern ca, about 40 mile southeast of Sacramento, is there anyone around me or near me? I'm in Amador County, near Pine Grove, Pioneer where the big fire was about a week ago.

I have a few questions on starting my chicken coop. Now should I wait to start my chicken flock in the spring when it will be no sign of cold? I'm just finished building my chicken coop and starting on the run. I'm wondering if it is going to be too cold to start with chicks now? I live where we might get a little snow but not sure of the weather patterns because we just moved here couple of month ago.

Where should I go to get my chicks or should I get the eggs and go through the incubating process??

00I0I_2VilEWVMrbN_600x450.jpg
So what do you guys think about turning this into a coop minus the "Frozen" theme, it's so not my style, lol? Thinking of buying this and maybe putting next boxes in the front window on the right and changing out some of the "windows" for lexan and 1/2"x1/2" wire for the roof peaks for vents and just using the "man" door for the girls and leaving it open suring the day and closed at night. I could use some suggestions if you have any. Thank you,
PS I already have the run and this will be free standing in the completely enclosed run

I would have loved to buy that for my grandkids.

Hi everyone, I'm in Northern ca, about 40 mile southeast of Sacramento, is there anyone around me or near me? I'm in Amador County, near Pine Grove, Pioneer where the big fire was about a week ago.

I have a few questions on starting my chicken coop. Now should I wait to start my chicken flock in the spring when it will be no sign of cold? I'm just finished building my chicken coop and starting on the run. I'm wondering if it is going to be too cold to start with chicks now? I live where we might get a little snow but not sure of the weather patterns because we just moved here couple of month ago.

Where should I go to get my chicks or should I get the eggs and go through the incubating process??

Welcome!

It would be harder up there and some think that the chickens will not be as big as they could be--I do not know about that though.

You would have to keep them in longer for sure before moving them to the coop.

It will also be harder to find just hatched chicks at this time of the year. The Hatcheries shut down usually.

Thanks Ron, I guess I should have started sooner... I'm going to see if I can fine someone that is local that has hatched chicks that are older that are ready for the coop. When does the hatcheries start shipping again?

Check their websites--Usually January to February depending on weather.

There may be some local breeders with started pullets in your area. @PetRock may still have some but she lives closer to the bay area.

Check their websites--Usually January to February depending on weather.

There may be some local breeders with started pullets in your area. @PetRock may still have some but she lives closer to the bay area.
I do still have some. I also have several barnyard mix pullets who have just started laying or are close to laying. They are beautiful girls that were broody raised so not as friendly as my brooder raised chicks. I am currently hatching Langshan chicks and just put my last hatch of the year in my incubator. They are Langshan, Pita Pinta, and Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock plus a few SPPR mixes. I debated not hatching them because I had a miscommunication with the boys who help collect the eggs at the farm. I only wanted to do a few hatches of Langshan but my helper thought that I wanted the eggs from all 3 pens collected. He didn't keep the eggs separated so in order to have one more hatch of Langshan, I set all of them.

Back
Top Bottom