California - Northern

Seeking help from people I trust.
I have been extremely fortunate and lost very few birds up this way. The tide seems to have changed. The 7 year old roo I can attribute to age, but I lost a pigeon yesterday and today I found a bantam dead in the coop. They are not under weight, not indication of being egg bound. The mate of the pigeon that died seems to have a hitch in his breathing.

I picked up Duramycin-10 and Oxytetracycline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been extremely fortunate and lost very few birds up this way. The tide seems to have changed. The 7 year old roo I can attribute to age, but I lost a pigeon yesterday and today I found a bantam dead in the coop. They are not under weight, not indication of being egg bound. The mate of the pigeon that died seems to have a hitch in his breathing.

hugs.gif

I am so sorry!

Are there any other symptoms?

If Oregon does not have a free necropsy service, you might want to do what you can--I would open them up to see if there are any worms, tumors, fungus or etc. inside the intestines. Check out the lungs, crop and etc.

OHS charges 110 for a necropsy, and goes up per test run.

I don't think I could open them up, my vet will do most anything but she's not much for necros either.

Nothing has changed here, no new birds. Last trip we took them on was Sept. 3rd. No loses in the birds we traveled with.

OHS charges 110 for a necropsy, and goes up per test run.

I don't think I could open them up, my vet will do most anything but she's not much for necros either.

Nothing has changed here, no new birds. Last trip we took them on was Sept. 3rd. No loses in the birds we traveled with.
It is a good time of the year to worm them--just to be safe.

It is very hard to say why the two died but it does not sound bacterial or viral--respiratory. Gasping is something they do when they die.

Still dealing with the mite infestation from Heck. We are afraid to move the broodies because we don't want them to abandon the eggs this late. They are due to hatch on Friday. The mites just keep coming though. I doused the hens with Permethrin powder (twice), powdered the coop, replaced the bedding in the nest box, and they are still all over the place.

I heard you can give the hens a bath with flea bath for dogs, is that correct?

I am setting up a dog crate for them in a fenced-off part of the run, and they will be going in there as soon as the chicks hatch. In the meantime, every time we open the broody coop our hands get covered with mites. Yuck yuck yuck!

Oxy is a general that will do resp right?
If so you could try that. But I'd worm don't know that pidgeons and chickens share viruses?

Still dealing with the mite infestation from Heck.  We are afraid to move the broodies because we don't want them to abandon the eggs this late.  They are due to hatch on Friday.  The mites just keep coming though.  I doused the hens with Permethrin powder (twice), powdered the coop, replaced the bedding in the nest box, and they are still all over the place.  

I am setting up a dog crate for them in a fenced-off part of the run, and they will be going in there as soon as the chicks hatch.  In the meantime, every time we open the broody coop our hands get covered with mites.  Yuck yuck yuck!

Can you use front line on them? If the chicks hatch in mites you'll loose them

Still dealing with the mite infestation from Heck. We are afraid to move the broodies because we don't want them to abandon the eggs this late. They are due to hatch on Friday. The mites just keep coming though. I doused the hens with Permethrin powder (twice), powdered the coop, replaced the bedding in the nest box, and they are still all over the place.

I am setting up a dog crate for them in a fenced-off part of the run, and they will be going in there as soon as the chicks hatch. In the meantime, every time we open the broody coop our hands get covered with mites. Yuck yuck yuck!
At this point with frontline like chiqita suggested. You only need two to three drops and they will be protected for a month.

You will need to treat the coop eventually though.

Last edited:
Still dealing with the mite infestation from Heck.  We are afraid to move the broodies because we don't want them to abandon the eggs this late.  They are due to hatch on Friday.  The mites just keep coming though.  I doused the hens with Permethrin powder (twice), powdered the coop, replaced the bedding in the nest box, and they are still all over the place.  

I am setting up a dog crate for them in a fenced-off part of the run, and they will be going in there as soon as the chicks hatch.  In the meantime, every time we open the broody coop our hands get covered with mites.  Yuck yuck yuck!

wow, where do you live?

Oxy is a general that will do resp right?
If so you could try that. But I'd worm don't know that pidgeons and chickens share viruses?
Can you use front line on them? If the chicks hatch in mites you'll loose them
I agree that the chicks will be at risk if they get mites. I've lost a couple chicks to mites before I knew that they had them. I ordered Frontline spray from amazon to use on my adult and teenage birds. I put a small squirt under each wing and one at the vent area. For the chicks, I use Scalex Mite & Lice Spray for Birds. I purchased it at a pet store and figure if it is okay for parrots, etc., it is okay for chicks. It is a spray that contains Pyrethrins. I use it like the Frontline with a squirt under each wing and one at the vent. I've also used Sevin Dust for mites and I've been told that it is okay to use on chicks & in nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom