California - Northern

I am so depressed.
I feel like I never want to buy shipped eggs again.
I got 8 paint showgirl eggs - ONE has made it to lockdown, all the others are clear.
I got 16 silver-laced oprington eggs - i candled tonight at 10 days - ONE has a viable jumpy embryo. 2 are maybes.
I did everything recommended for shipped eggs: reating for 24 hours, not turning for the first couple days. I'm using my best incubators, a Brinsea, ones I KNOW are good with 3 humidity/thermometers.
I am not sure what to do from here.
The eggs all looked good on delivery, no cracks, no saddle air cells (a little wobbly). They were both packed very well.

Crap.
It is sad when that happens!

I had a shipment of eggs hatch last week. One of the blue eggs hatched out of a dozen shipped. The Marans eggs did much better though. 6 out of 12 of them hatched.

Don't give up!

I am so depressed.
I got 8 paint showgirl eggs - ONE has made it to lockdown, all the others are clear.
I got 16 silver-laced oprington eggs - i candled tonight at 10 days - ONE has a viable jumpy embryo. 2 are maybes.
I did everything recommended for shipped eggs: reating for 24 hours, not turning for the first couple days. I'm using my best incubators, a Brinsea, ones I KNOW are good with 3 humidity/thermometers.
The eggs all looked good on delivery, no cracks, no saddle air cells (a little wobbly). They were both packed very well.

Crap.
I bought some super expensive Serama eggs from eBay, only one made it out of the egg and then died. I feel your pain!! Sorry that happened to you.

Omg I'm so upset right now. I made and introduction pen for my bantam chicks so they can get used to my standards throughout the day. They were in there all day yesterday and we're fine. They were loving it! Today I put them in there first thing this morning. When I went back to check on them somehow the cat got 3 by pawing through the fence. I was so horrified!! I already think of them as my babies!! Can't stop crying and blaming myself for not thinking about it. I have someone picking up the cat!! I have 3 left that I'm coddling. I just feel so awful and guilty!!!! :(

Omg I'm so upset right now. I made and introduction pen for my bantam chicks so they can get used to my standards throughout the day. They were in there all day yesterday and we're fine. They were loving it! Today I put them in there first thing this morning. When I went back to check on them somehow the cat got 3 by pawing through the fence. I was so horrified!! I already think of them as my babies!! Can't stop crying and blaming myself for not thinking about it. I have someone picking up the cat!! I have 3 left that I'm coddling. I just feel so awful and guilty!!!!
sad.png
I am so sorry!

My cats do not mess with the chicks or chickens.

I had a shipment of eggs hatch last week. One of the blue eggs hatched out of a dozen shipped.
Thanks for the encouragement.
The breeder was as shocked as I was.
We're figuring that something happened in transit - probably xray.
She's offering more eggs or chicks even so that's nice. Just more money...

Sorry to hear of your hatch rate, Ron.
Were they ArkBlues?

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement.
The breeder was as shocked as I was.
We're figuring that something happened in transit - probably xray.
She's offering more eggs or chicks even so that's nice. Just more money...

Sorry to hear of your hatch rate, Ron.
Were they ArkBlues?
I hope you get the problem worked out!

Yes, they were Arkansas blue egg layers. I do have one pretty blue one. I have more in the incubator and 5 of them are developing so in a couple of weeks I should have some more.

I bought some super expensive Serama eggs from eBay, only one made it out of the egg and then died. I feel your pain!! Sorry that happened to you.
Thanks for your sympathies.
I'm not giving up quite yet.
It was just a lot of heartbreak for one day, but that's how it goes sometimes.

You are braver them me - I've heard so much about trouble hatching shipped seramas.
That must've been heartbreaking to have a peeper get all the way out of the shell & then not make it.

On the plus side, I had 2 zebra doves hatch this weekend and I have duck eggs pipping today.

I hope you get the problem worked out!

Yes, they were Arkansas blue egg layers. I do have one pretty blue one. I have more in the incubator and 5 of them are developing so in a couple of weeks I should have some more.
I'm still wanting a splash pullet/hen.
I should get some eggs & hatch out some more.
They are fun birds.

I am so depressed.

Crap.

I am so depressed.

Crap.

I was going to let this go but after thanking a bit I just had to answer your post .

I have been doing mail order eggs for over 20 years now and the one big thing I have noticed is the quality of the eggs being sold over the years and my last mail order eggs I had 6 out of 8 hatch and the eggs came from Ohio and the number one thing I noticed when I opened the was how big the eggs where and that was a clear indication the hen that produced the egg was a full grown adult or over 18 months old and being Russian Orloff eggs I was totally surprised to have so many hatch as these are hard to hatch under any condition but the one big thing I have noticed with shipped eggs is that if you put them in the incubator and just leave them alone and I do not touch the eggs till day 23 and then I check and toss if needed and my hatch rate has gone way up over the last five years ..

Eggs that are off shaped or to small will not hatch .

I have gotten more then disappointed over the years but then I learned the such is life and that mail ordering egg is not what it was in years past as there are people out there who are selling eggs that they not be sent through the mail as the ladys that are producing the eggs are to young .

Please enjoy all your hatches and remember if you cant afford or enjoy going to Vegas the don't do and the same goes for mail order eggs to day .

Oh I try to write the people on E-Bay and ask them about their live stock and I do a personal grading of the people by the letter they send back .

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom