California - Northern

I hope you get the problem worked out!

Yes, they were Arkansas blue egg layers. I do have one pretty blue one. I have more in the incubator and 5 of them are developing so in a couple of weeks I should have some more.
just let me know whats happening I really want some of these. Ive set some CLB and Pita (and a few mutts) eggs on Friday night. I calibrated my incubator and upped the temp a bit. Im really hoping for a better hatch. only 18 eggs in total.

just let me know whats happening I really want some of these. Ive set some CLB and Pita (and a few mutts) eggs on Friday night. I calibrated my incubator and upped the temp a bit. Im really hoping for a better hatch. only 18 eggs in total.
The next hatch will be a week from Sunday. So far 5 UofA blues are developing.

I was going to let this go but after thanking a bit I just had to answer your post .

I have been doing mail order eggs for over 20 years now and the one big thing I have noticed is the quality of the eggs being sold over the years and my last mail order eggs I had 6 out of 8 hatch and the eggs came from Ohio and the number one thing I noticed when I opened the was how big the eggs where and that was a clear indication the hen that produced the egg was a full grown adult or over 18 months old and being Russian Orloff eggs I was totally surprised to have so many hatch as these are hard to hatch under any condition but the one big thing I have noticed with shipped eggs is that if you put them in the incubator and just leave them alone and I do not touch the eggs till day 23 and then I check and toss if needed and my hatch rate has gone way up over the last five years ..

Eggs that are off shaped or to small will not hatch .

I have gotten more then disappointed over the years but then I learned the such is life and that mail ordering egg is not what it was in years past as there are people out there who are selling eggs that they not be sent through the mail as the ladys that are producing the eggs are to young .

Please enjoy all your hatches and remember if you cant afford or enjoy going to Vegas the don't do and the same goes for mail order eggs to day .

Oh I try to write the people on E-Bay and ask them about their live stock and I do a personal grading of the people by the letter they send back .

gander007
old.gif
I appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts & I'm glad that you did.

These eggs were from Ohio as well.
They were nice & big. A couple with mildly porous shells but nothing outrageous.
I've had enough experience hatching that I can control myself to candle only at Day 10 & then at lockdown. It's hard but I sit on my hands a lot. :)
Oh, I guess I do candle before setting to check aircells.
I wash my hands before & after for safe measure.

True - I shouldn't complain if I'm going to gamble.
I was really only venting in one of the few places where I probably wouldn't get the "are you nuts?!?" reaction.
I know I'll purchase and hatch shipped eggs again.
I've had decent success in the past - just not these 2 batches & never this poor before.

I appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts & I'm glad that you did.

These eggs were from Ohio as well.
They were nice & big. A couple with mildly porous shells but nothing outrageous.
I've had enough experience hatching that I can control myself to candle only at Day 10 & then at lockdown. It's hard but I sit on my hands a lot. :)
Oh, I guess I do candle before setting to check aircells.
I wash my hands before & after for safe measure.

True - I shouldn't complain if I'm going to gamble.
I was really only venting in one of the few places where I probably wouldn't get the "are you nuts?!?" reaction.
I know I'll purchase and hatch shipped eggs again.
I've had decent success in the past - just not these 2 batches & never this poor before.
Too big if eggs are a problem for hatching too--especially if shipped.

Large eggs hatch the best.

I haven't posted in this thread in forever, but when I first got my hens 3 years ago, I was pretty active! I initially got Sebrights, but really had my heart set on d'Anvers. This spring, after one of my three Sebrights died of cancer, I ordered d'Anvers hatching eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams in Georgia, and stuck them under a broody Sebright. I got four adorable chicks; one mille fleur, one quail, and two lavender cuckoo colored. So far, I'm not sure which will turn out to be hens and which will be roosters, but I'm afraid that the only hen might be the quail chick, as the other three are all bigger and more mellow. If so, I'll probably have to do some re-homing, as roosters are illegal here in Davis. Just wanted to share and see if anyone here was interested!
Here's mommy Sebright with the mille fleur baby!

I haven't posted in this thread in forever, but when I first got my hens 3 years ago, I was pretty active! I initially got Sebrights, but really had my heart set on d'Anvers. This spring, after one of my three Sebrights died of cancer, I ordered d'Anvers hatching eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams in Georgia, and stuck them under a broody Sebright. I got four adorable chicks; one mille fleur, one quail, and two lavender cuckoo colored. So far, I'm not sure which will turn out to be hens and which will be roosters, but I'm afraid that the only hen might be the quail chick, as the other three are all bigger and more mellow. If so, I'll probably have to do some re-homing, as roosters are illegal here in Davis. Just wanted to share and see if anyone here was interested!
Here's mommy Sebright with the mille fleur baby!
That is a great picture!

Watch for the broody with babies contest.

I haven't posted in this thread in forever, but when I first got my hens 3 years ago, I was pretty active! I initially got Sebrights, but really had my heart set on d'Anvers. This spring, after one of my three Sebrights died of cancer, I ordered d'Anvers hatching eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams in Georgia, and stuck them under a broody Sebright. I got four adorable chicks; one mille fleur, one quail, and two lavender cuckoo colored. So far, I'm not sure which will turn out to be hens and which will be roosters, but I'm afraid that the only hen might be the quail chick, as the other three are all bigger and more mellow. If so, I'll probably have to do some re-homing, as roosters are illegal here in Davis. Just wanted to share and see if anyone here was interested! Here's mommy Sebright with the mille fleur baby!
What an adorable picture! I love my d'Anvers from Boggy Bottom Bantams. I have MF and Porcelain eggs incubating from my flock. If you want to post close up straight on pictures of their faces I might be able to help you sex them. My pullet chicks have been the mellow ones.

What an adorable picture! I love my d'Anvers from Boggy Bottom Bantams. I have MF and Porcelain eggs incubating from my flock.

If you want to post close up straight on pictures of their faces I might be able to help you sex them. My pullet chicks have been the mellow ones.

I wish I could take one. I really want a rooster for my flock. We are to far away though.. :(

I am so depressed.
I feel like I never want to buy shipped eggs again.
I got 8 paint showgirl eggs - ONE has made it to lockdown, all the others are clear.
I got 16 silver-laced oprington eggs - i candled tonight at 10 days - ONE has a viable jumpy embryo. 2 are maybes.
I did everything recommended for shipped eggs: reating for 24 hours, not turning for the first couple days. I'm using my best incubators, a Brinsea, ones I KNOW are good with 3 humidity/thermometers.
I am not sure what to do from here.
The eggs all looked good on delivery, no cracks, no saddle air cells (a little wobbly). They were both packed very well.

Crap.

Hi Lisa,
I am so sorry. I am very scared to have eggs shipped. What an awful story. Hope you can get some new eggs that will hatch for you..

Back
Top Bottom