California - Northern

Yes I also have a second australorp, same age, that wasn't in the previous picture. Do you think "Dolly" could possibly be a female? Here are some pictures for comparison.

Picture #1, "Minnie" is the one I feel confident is a female. She has feathered out similarly as the Easter Eggers. She has a tiny tan comb that they don't have, but it's much smaller than "Dolly."

Picture #2, "Dolly" is the one that looks to me like a cockerel. Mostly because of the comb and lack of tail feathers.

I will admit, I am very inexperienced in sexing chickens. Virtually no experience, actually, so I would really appreciate some more experienced people weighing in. Also, Minnie was the smallest chick in a bin of about 40 Australorp chicks.

View attachment 2303243View attachment 2303245
The chick looks like it is leaning towards cockerel for sure but I would still wait. Sometimes they will fool you.

If they were sold as pullets, then they were vent sexed at the hatchery. That is more than 95% accurate but that 5% will still pop up sometimes

The chick looks like it is leaning towards cockerel for sure but I would still wait. Sometimes they will fool you.

If they were sold as pullets, then they were vent sexed at the hatchery. That is more than 95% accurate but that 5% will still pop up sometimes

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'll do that. Either way, the little guy/gal is a sweetheart.

Anyone have advice on encouraging a rooster to acclimate to the flock? The two pullets are integrating well, but he's so shy. He just hides ALL the time. I feel terrible for him.
As long as he is not being bloodied, he should integrate.

I would get a small bit of scratch to see if he will start calling the girls over for it. That will help him become their rooster. Drop some my him and keep doing it each day until he starts calling them over to it

As long as he is not being bloodied, he should integrate.

I would get a small bit of scratch to see if he will start calling the girls over for it. That will help him become their rooster. Drop some my him and keep doing it each day until he starts calling them over to it
They're basically ignoring him. No one is going after him at all. He's just extremely passive. I've been trying the scratch thing. I'll just keep at it. Thanks.

They're basically ignoring him. No one is going after him at all. He's just extremely passive. I've been trying the scratch thing. I'll just keep at it. Thanks.
It can take a couple of weeks sometimes.

If it takes longer, consider breaking the flock into a smaller group and letting him integrate with them and then move them all back together

Back
Top Bottom