California Qail Questions..

arherp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Kentucky
I am picking up a couple pair of these in the next day or two (They do good in pairs, right?) And am wondering about housing. I assume they are like the other quail, and the chickens will make them sick. SO, in the middle of my chicken yard I have my 10X16 pigeon coop. Do you guys think a couple pairs of the Californias could live in this building, near chickens but away from them, with out any problems? And when I have that small of a number of males together, would they fight? Are these birds better in trios or something?

And, BTW, obviously I track through chicken mess to get in to the pigeon building. It has not affected my Bobwhite that is in there so far though! Do you hardcore keepers of these know if they are real sensitive or not?

ALL GAMEBIRDS ARE SENSITIVE TO ILLNESS. ESPECIALLY THOSE HARBIRED AND SPREAD BY OTHER DOMESTIC POULTRY. THEY ARE YOUR BIRDS, DO AS YOU WISH, BUT THE CURRENT IDEA SOUNDS LIKE A RECIPE FOR BAD THINGS TO ME
hu.gif

AND BEFORE ALL THE NAY SAYERS SHOW UP MUDDYING THE WATERS ASK --- I CAN GLADLY REFER YOU TO VISUAL PROOF

I am not sure what yor comment has to do with my questions? I have been breeding gamebirds for many years, I am well aware of disease and illness?

Males can be kept together as long as they have enough space. I colony breed my valleys with one male per two hens.

Ok. Are these birds one of the aggressive types? (Thinking of the Tennessee Bobwhites here) Or are they generally calmer? I have two 4X10 sections inside the building, would they be fine in that space, with the pigeons? And do you think there would be issues with me tracking chicken mud in there, or would that not bother them? I know that my Bobwhites do fine..

Quote:
Any game bird living that close to chickens has a higher incident for getting sick threw disease transfer.

Yep.. and it hasnt affected my bobwhites.. so my question is about california, because I havent had them before. All the different gamebirds have different levels of "finickyness", haha..

No need to be rude you guys. And remember, you don't know everything..

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you hardcore keepers of these know if they are real sensitive or not?

Did you forget to answer the questions, or is my computer screwing up?

He was pointing out your mistake. Sounds like you are one of the nay sayers that mislead people into keeping them with chickens. Your situation sounds like something will go wrong in the next week or two.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom