California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    It was 16 here in Lancaster last night. That's a new one for me! The chickens, however, didn't even seem to notice :)

2. nuthatch

nuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Inland Empire, CA
    18ยบ here in Lake Arrowhead yesterday, and WINDY! Glad the water is heated!

3. mbfarms

mbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    I'm in Quartz Hill/Lancaster and my 5 gal waterer was frozen solid this am. Had to haul water out because all close spigots were frozen solid too. Yikes. Hope nothings leaking when it all thaws out. :(

nuthatch, how you do heat your water? I'm thinking to try an aquarium heater tonight to see if it helps....I know it will keep bucket water warm but not sure if it will help with the vinyl pipe that leads to the nipple waterers....

4. nuthatch

nuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Inland Empire, CA
    Hubby made one of these- http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/11/make-cookie-tin-waterer-heater-under-10.html

5. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    smart! and easy. and cheap. just my kind of thing. thanks.

6. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    11 in Neenach, just west of you. Boy, this is serious cold! Every winter, I forget how it gets.

Still got three eggs yesterday.

7. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    ellandeerranch, No issue with eggs, here. I put up christmas lights on my coop and suddenly I'm getting 5-6 eggs a day from 6 layers instead of 1-2. I think I'm gonna make it Christmas all year at our coop, lol. Waiting, waiting, waiting for my Ameraucana to start laying those lovely blue eggs. Maybe they'll give me that for Christmas.

[​IMG]

nuthatch, I tried an aquarium heater last night since i had one laying around. didn't work AT ALL. Vinyl pipe was frozen and so was bucket. It didn't even keep 5 gal bucket warm. boo hiss. I'm going to have to try one like yours....BTW, if that avatar is your coop it is so stinking cute. How big is it? It's hard to tell from the pic.

8. High 40's at night in Hacienda Heights, picking up my 3 Barred Rocks tomorrow!! 6 weeks old and fully feathered, will be outside in the run but in the Cozy Coop at night. Hope I can pick 3 pullets from the lot! Looking for darker color, dark wash down front of smaller legs and less developed comb, right? My chicken adventure begins...

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

:welcome from Froggies Roost in Hacienda Heights! Congratulations on your first birides! Where are you going to get them?
    Hope you made your coop way too big for them as once "chicken math" kicks in, you will be filling it up. :p Three is for sure not enough...hee hee hee

10. kfritz3

kfritz3 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Hello So cal, My name is Karissa me and my Fiancee live in Palm Springs and we just bought our first two chickens. I was wondering if anyone from the desert areas had suggestions on the best ways to design a cool coop for the summertime... I know ventilation is key but any other advice is appreciated!!!
    Thanks, Karissa and Cliff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by