1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SRollins21

SRollins21 New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    My husband temporarily lost his mind and decided to buy me 3 baby chickens for my birthday. I do not want chickens at my house, and need to find them a new home ASAP! We have 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 California White. They are just about 2 weeks old. We are located in Oceanside, CA. Please let me know if you can take them, or if you know of anyone else who can in Southern California.

2. CostaMesaFarm

CostaMesaFarm New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    I live in Costa Mesa and would like to start raising chickens. If anyone in Costa Mesa has chickens can you let me know if you went through the city permitting process? Before submitting the paperwork I would like to know if the police chief ever approves any applications to raise chickens. Any advice would be appreciated.

3. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Post on Craigslist and you'll probably be rid of them soon.

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    It depends on your neighbors. You should be able to have 4 but no roosters. I sell a lot of chickens to people in CM.

5. Yup, Craig's List. Or maybe a local feed store will take them off your hands, they need pretty specific care pretty quickly though!

6. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

I PM'ed SRollins and have not gotten a response :( . I know peeps on California Poultry People [FB] that are interested in taking them. PLEASE respond SRollins :fl

7. alexthechicken

alexthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    People in thousand oaks or ventura county! If you have any hens that you would like to sell please private message me. I have a RIR rooster that i cannot keep.

8. LauraDel

LauraDel New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    I live in Laguna Niguel and am thinking about getting chickens. I have lots of questions - How much is their feed? What are the best breeds if you want lots of eggs and no noise to disturb neighbors? What will I do with them when they are past egg laying stage and I get new egg layers and don't have room to keep the old ones? Do they get sick ? Can I let them run around my yard or do they make messy poop that will get on my kids bare feet? Do I have to worry about the weather in this area once I have a little house and run for them? How do I know if my eggs are safe to eat? If anyone local can help me with these questions I would appreciate it.

9. LauraDel

LauraDel New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    How do you take care of them at that age? Are they still in an incubator? Or can they go outside? If outside I might want them.

10. LauraDel

LauraDel New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    My friends in Aliso Viejo just had chickens for a couple of years and they had no problems until they went on vacation and the person watching them wasn't able to keep them quiet and a neighbor complained. Sometimes I think its better not to go for permits. My neighbors have goats too. As long as they are quiet and neighbors don't complain you should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by